Sciences initiative celebrates birthday

Life Sciences commemorates one-year anniversary

Thursday, the Life Sciences Initiative celebrated its one year anniversary in Indianapolis, looking back at the accomplishments it has achieved thus far.\nThe Life Sciences Initiative is a collaborative effort among IU, Purdue University, private corporations and central Indiana government officials to promote the development of life sciences in higher education as a means of improving the state economically. \nIndianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson said the initiative will have a positive impact on the region. \n"Central Indiana can set the standard for this high-tech, high-growth industry in the 21st century," Peterson said in a press release. "From our world-class companies to our outstanding universities to our groundbreaking research projects, Indianapolis is poised to be a world leader in life sciences."\nIU Spokesman Bill Stephan said the project has been enormously successful so far. He added that the cooperation between different leaders in technology as one of the reasons for the success.\n"There has just been a remarkable partnership between between the different campuses and Purdue and with Eli Lilly," Stephan said. "With this help, it will benefit IU and Indiana as a whole."\nOne of the highlights of the Life Sciences Initiative is the creation of several new buildings, such as the Biotechnology Research and Training Center at IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, which is home to several areas such as proteomics, orthopedics, and genotyping.\nDr. Craig Brater, dean of the IU School of Medicine at IUPUI, said new buildings are landmarks for the University, noting that the increased support from the state and city government has helped tremendously. \n"Some of the things that are the important symbols of progress open not one but two research buildings," Brater said. "The city gave the University a prime hunk of real estate to build the medical information sciences building as well. Through this support to construct these buildings, the life sciences initiative has been very successful."\nAnother important feat for the University was the creation of the IU's Cyclotron Facility which is home to the world's first hospital-based proton treatment facility and remains only one of three such facilities available in the United States. \nBrater also said the initiative has caused IU to gain more attention in the science community and therefore, has helped to attract highly qualified employees. \n"Another great thing we have been doing is recruiting a lot of key people to the University," Brater said. "(We) kicked off our center for bio-ethics with a great new director. There is just a laundry list of great personnel we've acquired through this initiative."\nIndianapolis City-Council member Beurt SerVaas, another partner in the Life Sciences Initiative with a lengthy history in medicine, said he views the continuation in studying proteomics, the study of proteins, as very beneficial to Indiana. \n"The study of proteins are the basis of life really," SerVaas said. "They're involved in every life activity. Everything in the living scheme of things can be traced to proteins. We've discovered they are integral to treating diseases such as Alzheimer's. In Alzheimer's, these proteins, they somehow collapse, the molecules unravel and become dysfunctional, which puts pressure on the neurons. So it is very important to expand our study on proteomics."\nBrater said he feels the future for the initiative is hopeful, but more funding is required. \n"I think it is extraordinarily bright," Brater said. "But, the state is going to have to give us increased support. In order to continue research, funding is needed."\nStephan took a more optimistic approach, saying that the life sciences has proven itself has an important industry for Indiana. \n"The future is virtually limitless," Stephan said. "Indiana has distinguished itself by virtue of these assets and Indiana will continue to prove itself as a major player in life sciences."\nFor more information on the Life Sciences Initiative, log on to www.indygov.org/mayor/cilsi/.