Runner off to quick start

Junior middle distance runner Rodney Hollis was expecting a breakout season this year. So far, that is exactly what it has been. Hollis missed most of last year because of a stress fracture in his left fibula, so he was eyeing this season eagerly and has already posted some impressive marks.\n"Last year I barely even ran," Hollis said. "I was walking around in an air cast boot for most of the season. The only thing I had to look forward to was this season."\nSaturday at the Indiana Invitational, Hollis broke the school record in the 600-meter with a time of 2:18.70, breaking the old record by half of a second. After that race, he managed to post an impressive split in the 4x400m relay and took second place.\n"Rodney's running very competitive and very smart," coach Marshall Goss said. "He is looking to have a breakout season." \nHollis credited his training as a major factor in his improvement. Hollis said before his injury last year he was looking good, but this season he has felt even stronger. He added that his training has placed a greater emphasis on endurance and attributes that to his greater strength.\n"I get more mileage now so I'm stronger endurance-wise than I ever was before," Hollis said. "Everything as far as my running goes is at such a higher level than it has been in previous years."\nHollis said being stronger has allowed him to run more aggressively. He now can go out with the leaders and feel confident that he will have enough left at the end of the race.\nGoss said a major reason for Hollis' marked improvement has been his mental attitude. He said Hollis has been very competitive this year and that has made an impact on his marks.\n"It's awful easy to make an excuse," Goss said. "It's a lot harder sometimes to just run through it. Rodney is one of those guys who runs through it."\nHollis said one aspect that makes his running easier is his studies. He said when his studies are going well, his running usually does better as well. As an exercise science major, he usually faces a challenging schedule. Last semester, he took 17 credit hours in addition to his hectic training schedule.\n"Grades are the top priority, above track," Hollis said. "If our grades get too low, then we can't even help our track team because we'd be ineligible."\nThis weekend at the Cannon IV Classic, Hollis will move up in distance to the 800-meter. He said that he hopes his greater endurance will prove helpful at this move. He has high hopes for the meet, as he is still experimenting with his potential.\n"I'm going to go out fast and trail right behind the leader," Hollis said. "I don't really know where my potential is, so I'm just going to go out and see where I'm at"