Music faculty pay tribute to jazz great Miles Davis

Jazz Fables concert features performances by David Baker, others

The IU School of Music's jazz faculty will perform a tribute concert to Miles Davis from 5:30 to 8 p.m. tonight at Bear's Place. The program is part of the Jazz Fables concert series taking place every Thursday night.\n"I often think the Miles Davis and John Coltrane concerts are some of the best of Jazz Fables, because we have so much fun," said David Miller, an IU faculty member who started Jazz Fables in 1977.\nThe program has seen many changes -- including a change of location to Bear's in 1989. And if the current climate of Jazz Fables says anything, he has no intentions of slowing down.\n"It is a labor of love," Miller said, "but after all these years, I have been extremely blessed to play this music with so many talented musicians."\nBut tonight isn't about the musicians as individuals, it's about the music of Miles Davis. David Baker, chair of the Music department, chose and arranged some Davis originals including "So What," "Freddie Freeloader" and "Nardis," as well as some jazz standards Davis recorded, such as "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Stella by Starlight." \n"We won't see the music until we get there," said Tom Walsh, assistant professor of saxophone and jazz studies, who will also play in the concert. "Expect the unexpected; that's what jazz is all about."\nMiller, who plays the trumpet -- Davis' instrument of choice, also has prepared a tribute to Davis.\n"Knowing David, he'll always put a little personal touch in there," said Miller, who counts Miles Davis as his main inspiration in playing the trumpet.\nOther IU jazz faculty members will perform together with Miller, Baker and Walsh, including Chair of the Jazz Studies Department, Pat Harbison on trumpet, Luke Gillespie on piano, Steve Houghton on drums and Bruce Bransby on double bass. The musicians like the challenge and seeing how each handle it. \n"It's always an inspiration to have David Baker as our featured artist," Miller said. "He's a reason why so many talented people are here to play with."\nMiller's praise doesn't stop at Baker, though. He's excited to be playing with all of the faculty for this concert.\n"It's really an extraordinary group of musicians," Miller said.\nSince its inception, Jazz Fables has drawn on talent from the School of Music, including both students and faculty. Much of that talent comes courtesy of Baker, who is the director of a prestigious jazz orchestra. Baker will also play the cello in tonight's concert.\n"It wouldn't be possible without the talent David Baker draws," Miller said.\nBut Baker feels that Miller, a trumpet player who plays at most of the concerts, is the catalyst behind Jazz Fables.\n"It's music that you wouldn't hear if David Miller wasn't here," Baker said. "That's an outlet that wouldn't be here otherwise."\nBaker isn't the only one who appreciates Miller's contribution to the community.\n"It's a great situation when you have this many people in a jazz faculty who love to play together," Walsh said. "That's something I certainly enjoy a lot."\nMiller also appreciates the crowds that come to see Jazz Fables.\n"It's been an extremely gratifying run, especially at Bear's," he said. "To have an audience that listens to you has a different feel."\nBaker also said "having an opportunity to play to an appreciative crowd" was one of his favorite things about the series.\nBut for Baker, the best thing about Jazz Fables has been that Miller has continued the event so long that it has become a tradition.\n"David Miller has been the groove," Baker said. "I am so thankful that he has kept this thing alive, just for the opportunity to play for our students and colleagues."\nWalsh also said Miller's contribution to the Bloomington community is what is paramount about Jazz Fables.\n"It's through his efforts that this happens and for that I'm most thankful," Walsh said. "I don't know if there's ever been anything like this in Bloomington, or for that matter, anywhere."\nFor Miller, who started Jazz Fables so long ago as a regular gig, and who has adapted it into the showcase of jazz talent that it is today, he's just happy to play with so many different people and to have a venue to do so.\n"It gives people a greater chance to appreciate jazz, and it gives local players a chance to play together," Miller said. "It's become an outlet for all the jazz styles and all the jazz players in the area. It's been one of the things I am most proud of"