Men's tennis wins 8 straight

Men's tennis wins 8 straight\nThe beginning of the conference season and a long road trip didn't stop the No. 40 men's tennis team from extending their season-opening winning streak. With victories over Big Ten foes Northwestern and Wisconsin over the weekend, IU extended their streak to eight straight games.\nThe weekend began with a 4-3 win over No. 41 Northwestern on Saturday. \n"I was really pleased with the way the guys played today," interim coach Matthew Pledger said in a statement. "We had a lot of close matches today and it got pretty heated. The guys gave 100 percent at every position. Some guys didn't play well, but they still were out there giving a lot of effort. I was just floored after this win."\nSenior Zach Held and sophomore Ryan Recht won in a 9-8 tiebreaker over Northwestern's Jackie Jenkins and Chuck Perrin in the No. 1 doubles position. The victory won the doubles point for the Hoosiers. IU's No. 2 team of senior Petr Novotny and freshman Viktor Libal also won, posting a 9-7 win over Wildcats Tommy Hanus and Russell Bennett. \nTrailing 3-2, IU had to take the No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches to clinch the win. Held and Novotny delivered, posting 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 and 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 respectively. \nIU won their second match of the weekend with a 5-2 win over Wisconsin. Held and Recht and Novotny and Libal both won their doubles positions again. The duos upped their records to identical 6-2 marks. \nIU's top four singles players each also picked up victories, as sophomore Jakub Praibis, Libal, Novotny and Held all won for IU.\nThe Hoosiers continue their eight game road trip at 1 p.m. next Saturday when they travel to Nashville to take on No. 28 at Vanderbilt.\nWaltrip wins Daytona 500\nDAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Michael Waltrip is the new master of Daytona. He doesn't win anywhere else.\nUnder dark clouds, Waltrip raced past leader Jimmie Johnson after a restart on lap 106 Sunday to win the rain-shortened Daytona 500 for the second time in three years.\nAnd it was Dale Earnhardt Jr., done in by a dead battery, who helped his friend and teammate take the lead on the last green flag lap.\nWaltrip followed Earnhardt Jr., who had been lapped, past Johnson in a tight two-car draft.\nAs the leaders neared the finish line, defending champion Ward Burton spun and slammed into the fourth-turn wall, bringing out the fifth caution flag of the day.\nMoments later, rain fell for the second time. After a little more than an hour, NASCAR declared Waltrip the winner.