IU reacts to warnings

Colleges possible terrorist targets, FBI says

IU is preparing its police force and initiating other safety procedures following an announcement that universities and colleges could be the targets of terrorism. \nFederal Bureau of Investigation Director Robert Mueller told the U.S. Senate Committee on Tuesday that al Qaeda could attack universities due to a high concentration of population, with lessened security. \n"Multiple small-scale attacks against soft targets -- such as banks, shopping malls, supermarkets, apartment buildings, schools and universities, and places of recreation and entertainment -- would be easier to execute and would minimize the need to communicate with the central leadership, lowering the risks of detection," Mueller told the Senate. \nMueller's comments mark the "first time a senior official has noted the likelihood that an institution of higher education would be a target," said Sheldon E. Steinbach, vice president and general counsel for the American Council on Education. \nIU spokesman Bill Stephan said the University has considered the FBI's statement and feels it already is prepared to deal with possible attacks. \n"We are working very closely with local law enforcement to figure out how to deal with terrorist threats," Stephan said. "In addition, programs such as the newly reworked Emergency Management Program at IU have helped to protect IU's security."\nIU Police Department Lt. Jerry Minger said he saw the report and has taken action already to deal with the warning. \n"When we saw the report, we advised all of our personnel that the FBI released the statement," Minger said. "We contacted our local FBI office to discuss any specifics to be warned about, such as specific locations or specific groups of people and they said there were none."\nMinger said IUPD is not taking any different approach with officers to react to terrorism.\n"A police officer's normal job is to investigate suspicious behavior and that is exactly how you prevent terrorism," Minger said. "For example, how do you think terrorists transport bombs or chemical weapons? In suspicious looking devices."\nMinger added IUPD is also equipped to deal with biological and bomb threats.\n"We receive a number of bomb threats throughout the year," he said. "Mostly they occur during finals week in order to evacuate a building. So, we have bomb-sniffing dogs and other personnel to deal with such threats."\nPreviously, following the Sept. 11 attacks, Minger said the department quickly went on alert.\n"On Sept. 11, we immediately put the department on alert," he said. "All days off or time off were cancelled and we put all the people we had to work. We had overlapping shifts, so there was increased police presence on the streets."\nMost of the training to prepare for terrorism has affected administrative officials at IUPD, Minger said. \n"We have gone to training sessions to increase our connections with other departments such as the (U.S.) Department of Homeland Security," Minger said.\nOverall, Minger said IUPD is doing all it can to prevent attacks. \n"There is no way you can totally prevent terrorism," he said. "That's why you call it terrorism. It inspires terror in the public"