Changed line-up sparks IU

Strickland, Moye bring back emotion for weary Hoosiers

Before last night's game against the Michigan Wolverines, coach Mike Davis presented his team with a challenge -- play with enough tenacity to scare the team that was atop the Big Ten standings off the court. \n"I told our guys tonight, 'We've got to make this the hardest game that Michigan's been in all season,'" he said. "When they walk off that court at halftime, they've got to not want to come back on the court."\nWhile the Wolverines did show up to play the second half, the Hoosiers showed a level of defensive intensity that had been nearly non-existent during their five-game losing streak, and they held Michigan to a mere 18 points in the first half.\nDuring their losing streak, Davis had cited a lack of defensive intensity and rebounding as the team's most urgent problems, and the stat sheet backed him up. \nHeading into last night, the Hoosiers were 4-7 when out-rebounded by their opponents and had lost the only game that they tied in the category. \nBut they had been a perfect 10-0 when they prevailed on the glass. \nMake that 11-0.\nThe Hoosiers won the battle on the offensive glass 12-9 and out-rebounded Michigan 40-31 overall.\nSenior forward Jeff Newton was a big part of that success, pulling down ten boards en-route to his first double-double since the Penn State game Jan. 8. \n"Our backs were against the wall tonight," Newton said. "We had to be strong on the defensive end, and we were. Our defense and intensity was the key. We've been scoring enough points to win, but our defense just hasn't been there." \nJunior guard/forward A.J. Moye started at the other forward position for the Hoosiers, replacing junior center George Leach and the move proved to be a wise choice by Davis. The junior held the Wolverines leading scorer LaVell Blanchard to 3-13 from the field, 0-5 from the three-point line and eight points overall.\n"(Defense) is the key," Moye said. "(Associate head coach John) Treloar was talking to us before the game and said it's about character, not about x's and o's. If this was November and we were losing early then it might be x's and o's, but we proved we can play on a higher level and it just digressed. It couldn't be anything else but just wanting to get it done and desire and character."\nFreshman point guard Marshall Strickland was also put in the starting line-up for just the second time this season. His presence added energy on both ends of the court as he pulled down rebounds, forced turnovers and set up teammates. The move also allowed Coverdale to play off the ball and create his own shots.\n"I think Marshall can really push the ball up the court in transition and get into the offense quicker," Davis said of Strickland's appearance in the starting line-up. "I think Coverdale presents a problem for people coming off screens and catching and driving it, shooting it. Marshall Strickland is a talented basketball player, and I've said from day one I have appreciated his patience. He could start almost anywhere else."\nDavis said he planned on sticking with the new-look line-up for Saturday's game at Wisconsin.\nStrickland explained that defense had been the focus for the Hoosiers in preparing for the game against Michigan and said he felt the work paid off.\n"In practice we were doing a lot of defensive drills and team defensive things and that was one of our goals and one of the things we really paid attention to tonight," he said.