Software program could lead to headaches

The Bloomington Faculty Council met Tuesday to discuss the limitations and financial decisions that must be made regarding PeopleSoft, a new software program that will be used for student enrollment and student information services at IU.\nThe new software, which is planned to be in full operation by the end of 2004, will cause many difficulties, as it does not support many functions already familiar to IU. \nThe software only allows students to waitlist classes by section rather than by course. It also will not allow students to raincheck any courses that are full. Other functions which would need to be added include delivering midterm grade reports, providing GradPact benchmarks and producing grade context reports. \n"Many would ask why certain features are not included in PeopleSoft, but you have to realize, it wasn't designed specifically for IU," said Don Hossler, co-chairman of the SIS Steering Committee and vice chancellor for enrollment services. "Some of things that just seem natural to us are done completely differently at other colleges."\nAll of these functions which would need to be added can be modified into the system at varying costs. \n"It is now our responsibility to decide which features are priorities to the University and which ones are not," Hossler said.\nThe BFC has already begun the process of deciding whether certain features should be added or are not worth the cost. The GradPact program, designed to facilitate students in graduating on time, has been abolished due to high financial costs. \n"We have always made academic policy without regard to costs," BFC President Bob Eno said. "This picture is now changed."\nVice President for Information Technology Michael McRobbie said the new SIS is an immediate priority for the University. \n"This system will make a significant contribution to Indiana University's goals for recruitment and retention," McRobbie said. "It will enable students to move through the administrative processes required with ease and absence of bureaucracy." \nHossler said the current software, called "Legacy," is being phased out because it is outdated. \nPaul Salsgiver, president of PeopleSoft Education and Government, added that the new software will increase communications on campus. \n"PeopleSoft is providing leading-edge software solutions designed to streamline communications and administrative functions of higher education institutions, so that they can concentrate on their core mission of education," Salsgiver said. "Through our Web-enabled applications, Indiana University will be able to deliver more information and enhanced processing capabilities to faculty and staff with ease and efficiency, as well as deliver more self-service options to students and prospective students." \nOther positive aspects include economic benefits for IU and easier access to visas for traveling students and faculty. \nThe BFC will continue to discuss expected problems in PeopleSoft at their next scheduled meeting Feb. 4. \nFor a more complete list of the issues dealing with PeopleSoft check out www.iub.edu/~bfc/BFC/circulars/02-03/B7-2003.htm.