Simpson plans to explore run for governor

INDIANAPOLIS -- State Sen. Vi Simpson took the first step Thursday toward a possible run for Indiana governor in 2004 by forming an exploratory committee that will allow her to begin raising campaign funds.\nWith her announcement, Simpson became the first Democrat to enter the fray since Democratic Lt. Gov. Joe Kernan announced Dec. 9 that he would not run.\n"I do not do so for personal ambition. My life has already been more than blessed," Simpson said. "Nor am I interested in making history. I'm taking this step today because I owe Indiana much more, much more than it will ever owe me."\nIf she officially files her candidacy, Simpson would become the first woman from either major party to seek the state's top office.\nSimpson, who has represented the Bloomington area in the Senate since 1984, is the top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee and is chairwoman of the State Budget Committee.\nBill Blomquist, a political science professor at IUPUI, said he was not surprised by Simpson's announcement.\n"Senator Simpson has been among the most active members of the General Assembly in terms of leadership on state budget matters and other public policy," Blomquist said. "I am hard-pressed to think of another Democrat in a better position and experienced to do it."\nThe Democratic bid to succeed two-term Gov. Frank O'Bannon was thrown off balance when Kernan, the presumptive candidate, announced he would not run.\nIndianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson, U.S. Sen. Evan Bayh, former U.S. Rep. Tim Roemer and former House Speaker John R. Gregg already announced they would not run.\nU.S. Rep. Baron Hill also was considering running for governor next year but had not yet announced a decision. A spokesman in his congressional office in Washington said Hill could make a decision as early as Friday.\nFormer state and national Democratic Party Chairman Joe Andrew also said he was considering a campaign.\nSimpson said it was too early to speculate on the Democratic ticket, but she also said she was fully prepared to vie for the position in a Democratic primary.\nPeter Manous, state Democratic Party chairman, said Simpson would make a fine candidate for any statewide office, but that it was too soon to say who the Democratic candidate would be.\nManous repeatedly has said Hill would make a great candidate, in part because he has a proven record of being able to raise money.\n"The real barometer on this is to not only gauge the support, but also the ability to raise the money," Manous said.\nThe field of Republican candidates already is crowded. Already in the race are former U.S. Rep. David McIntosh, the party's nominee in 2000; state Sens. Luke Kenley of Noblesville and Murray Clark of Indianapolis; conservative activist Eric Miller; and Petersburg Mayor Randy Harris.\nMany Republicans, however, hope that White House Budget Director Mitch Daniels seeks the GOP nomination for governor in 2004.