Reality TV bites

Well, the major television networks have tapped into something big: Americans love watching people be exploited, especially in the most intimate and personal of moments. And what is better television than reality dating? The parade of reality programs has been a part of pop culture since "Survivor" first hit it big three years ago. Quick to cash in on its high ratings, television producers have been turning out show after show, each with its own distinct gimmick. Apparently, we love watching "people like us" as opposed to those from Hollywood factory, but aren't we going too far?\nThe latest design allows viewers to witness "love" in the making. "The Bachelor," and now "The Bachelorette" are interesting premises -- various contestants all vying to be the chosen one.\n"Until they beat it to death, they're going to figure out every Bachelor/Bachelorette clone you can come up with," said Magna Global USA ad analyst Steve Sternberg.\nFox's "Joe Millionaire" adds an even more unnatural element to the dating process -- a big fat lie. We've all seen the commercials -- Joe isn't really a millionaire! People definitely want to see what happens in this weird, doom-destined scenario, because the "Joe Millionaire" premiere earned an estimated 18.6 million viewers, and "The Bachelorette" tallied similar numbers, according to USA Today. \nDo these shows' creators have no shame? If they make the show, inevitably they will be able to find people willing to be on it. It's our 15 minutes of fame mentality. I can't help but feel sorry for "The Bachelor" or "Joe Millionaire." Ultimately, these make-believe relationships will fail. A healthy, loving relationship cannot be manufactured for the sake of a TV show. Imagine one of these guys trying to get a girlfriend outside the show. There will be those who would want a date with "The Bachelor," but one date would probably be it. I mean, can you be serious with someone known to the world as "The Bachelor" or "Joe Millionaire?"\nThe shows reflect a somewhat nasty side of human nature. The networks know these shows will get big ratings because something outrageous has to happen; someone will get mad, hurt, or devastated. \nFox reality programming chief Mike Darnell told MSNBC, "In the end, he must reveal to her that he's basically broke. We get to see if she still wants to be with him. It's a spectacular show with a spectacular ending." \nThis "spectacular" ending could end up being poor "Joe Millionaire" being rejected on national television. Wow, spectacular. With both shows, disappointment becomes the main event, with so much built around the rejection of each man or woman. Do we like seeing people be hurt? Do we want to see "Joe Millionaire" dumped when the "lucky" girl finds out he is just a construction worker?\nAnd yet, millions still watch. It is that allure of trash television that catapulted Jerry Springer into the limelight. People will do just about anything to be on TV, and to think they just might get a boyfriend or girlfriend out of the deal! And, of course, those producers aren't hesitating to expose and ridicule others for some big ratings.\nIsn't that what reality television is all about? Maybe we should revert back to the time when reality television was just documentaries, and not extreme exploitation.