Cinema from abroad begins to make waves in the US

Forget passports, hour long security checks and delayed flights; there's another way to explore the cultural treasures of the world. International "travel" can be done from the comfort of your home. Just rent a foreign film and you can bring Parisian cafes, Spanish bull fights and German pubs right to your living room. The popularity of foreign films is rising as more people discover the entertainment and cultural insight the films provide. \nPeter LoPilato, programming director for the Ryder Film Series, which has been active in promoting foreign cinema locally, says foreign films offer people a window into another culture, even if they do not have the means to travel. \n"It's a way to travel all over Europe and Asia without the plane fare," he says. \nLoPilato says some of the films shown by the Ryder Film Series are very popular in Bloomington though it's hard to tell when a film is going to appeal to the entire American public. \n"No sure things in the movie business," he says. "Otherwise we'd all be rich."\nScott Haney, a freshman communication and culture major, says China, India, Egypt, France and Germany all have strong film markets, with China and India producing more films per year than Hollywood. Even though the technology available may not be as advanced at times, a lot of films are made on 8 and 16mm film as opposed to the American standard of 35mm. This doesn't affect the overall quality of the films. \n"Most American movies are star driven and most foreign films are director driven," LoPilato says. "Most American movies are products and collaborative. A group sits down and tries to figure out what people want to see. Most foreign films are one person's vision." \nSoe Aung, a junior, says he would like to see foreign film gain more popularity in the states. Born in Burma, Aung lived in India until coming to America three years ago and would like to see more of the Indian films he came to know. \n"Indian movies are more drama, and the movies are based on love and family matters," he says. "It is just a different culture." \nHe says singing and dancing is a cornerstone of Indian film, something that is very important to Indian culture. \nSometimes the mood of the viewer may influence which film nationality they want to watch. Haney says moods vary drastically across the film spectrum.\n"Each culture has its own style," he says. "India cranks out more than we do in Hollywood -- almost all musicals. Popular films of the place will reflect the culture, though I'm not saying everyone fits into a stereotype."\nBryan Donaldson, a foreign film enthusiast, student and instructor in the French department, says the cultural differences between countries makes for a diverse viewing experience. \n"If (I'm) looking for a thriller, I'd probably rent something in the 'Hollywood' genre," he says, "but for a reflective film on society or values, perhaps a French film."\nForeign films are usually perceived by Americans as less flashy and action packed than their Hollywood counterparts. Haney says he thinks this is mainly due to the difference in the relative production budgets.\n"They have lower budgets for the most part," he says. "With Hollywood, we have a lot more money so there's usually more action with the higher budget. European films do more with less, which a lot of times is great." \nHaney says these smaller budgets often lead to innovations in the art of filmmaking that will eventually influence both American filmmakers and film industry trends.\n"The German film 'Run Lola Run' has a lot of influence from the American market but sets itself aside because it's very non-linear," Haney says. This set the stage for future films like "Memento," which follows this same non-linear formula.\nSome foreign films have gained great acclaim here in the US and are familiar titles even to those who wouldn't consider themselves foreign film enthusiasts. Movies such as "Life is Beautiful," "The Full Monty" and "Amelie" are some of the more popular titles. If you're going to watch a foreign film for the first time, LoPilato recommends anything from early Fellini or Truffaut.\nFor a student studying a foreign language, Donaldson says watching a film from the native country enhances the learning experience. \n"The value for a student is multiple," Donaldson says. "First, students can listen to the language and watch the people as they speak it. They are also exposed to the culture, at least passively. I appreciate seeing a glimpse of a foreign culture, seeing how people interact in another language or culture or simply seeing some scenery from another country."\nThere are many resources for foreign films available here in Bloomington and even right on campus. The main library has a collection of foreign films that can be viewed for free and City Lights, a group that meets in Ballantine Hall, also screens films for free. The Ryder Film Series and language-based campus groups Table Francaise and Circolo Italiano also frequently show films. \nThough the words "foreign film" may seem intimidating at first, it's really just about entertainment. Haney says that, to him, movies of any origin should be entertaining first and foremost.\n"I just love movies, any movies," Haney says. "It doesn't matter to me what kind it is. If anything, I'd say the fact that it's from another country just makes it even more interesting because you get a whole different take on something." \nDonaldson says he sees a deeper use for foreign cinema. He says foreign films can provide an excellent supplement to any student's educational experience.\n"Give foreign films a chance," he says. "They're an excellent way to travel somewhere and experience another culture without leaving Bloomington. If you've traveled abroad, you may even end up seeing something you recognize"