Several incidents lead to Delta Chi's dismissal from campus

Nationals not sure what will happen to old fraternity house

Starting next semester, the rooms of Delta Chi will stand vacant, with echoes of a tumultuous and unhappy end.\nAssistant Dean of Students Jim Gibson is sad to see the fraternity close but stands behind the justification for it. Before the chapter was suspended, Gibson says that the national leadership had lowered their status to a Level 4 Probationary Status. This is one step away from being suspended.\n"There was just a series of problems after that," Gibson said. "National and University guidelines were being violated. We tried to work with them, but sometimes it's better to just stop and start over."\nSeveral steps could have been taken by the chapter to possibly avoid the Status Five Corrective Action, resulting in suspension. The chapter could have made efforts to follow policies and taken corrective actions, Gibson said.\n"They needed to do what they were supposed to be doing to make fraternity life a good thing," Gibson said.\nCharles Mancuso, president of the executive committee of the Delta Chi International Headquarters, is still in Columbus, Ohio, meeting with other Nationals.\n"I still don't know much about it yet, but from what I understand there were multiple events that led up to their suspension," Mancuso said. \nHe said the chapter violated Risk Management standards as well as National Commission standards. Mancuso and his committee will work mutually with the University in deciding to invite the chapter back on campus after a minimum of one year has passed. \n"It's not really up to us," Mancuso said.\nMany are wondering what will happen to the house while it stands empty the next couple semesters. The Housing Corporation Board, consisted of Delta Chi Alumni, will meet and decide how the house will be used. \nPresident of the Housing Corporation Craig Wiley, an Indianapolis attorney, has been with Delta Chi since 1990 and has been hard at work finding out circumstances and deciding what will be done with the house. He said they are busy making interim plans, and nothing is set in stone yet. A graduate advisor may move into the house to maintain it.\n"Nothing is for sure yet," Wiley said. "There may even be another fraternity moving in next fall."\nWiley also described how damage done to the house will also determine how it will be used. A number of things have been stolen from the house, including a Persian rug that has been with the house since it's been a part of IU. Wiley said even the infrastructure, including the plumbing, will need to be fixed.\n"There's just hundreds of thousands of dollars to be put into that house," Wiley said. \nWiley and the corporation have contacted IU Police Department and together have decided to ask students to turn themselves in, no questions asked. If they do not, an investigation will take place.\n"We will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law," Wiley said.\nIn the meantime, the corporation hopes to get help from Nationals and Alumni to help pay the mortgage and fix the house up.\n"We have two main issues," Wiley said. "We want to keep the house, and we want to fix the damage so that the house can be used to its fullest extent. Delta Chi will be back at IU, hopefully sooner rather than later. I think Nationals support that and the University does too."\nMancuso said there are a substantial amount of people interested in the house; however, that is not his primary concern now.\n"Right now, our primary concern is to take care of the guys in the house," Mancuso said. "A chapter can lose recognition because of one person, so the rest of them have to be treated fairly."\nKing said the 46 guys are just scrambling to find a place to live next semester. They are looking into whatever is available but mostly apartments.\n"It's just too bad," chapter president senior Dave King said. "It's sad to see all of our years of hard work just gone"