Lighting up the Courthouse

Biology professor Butch Brodie and his wife Suzan walked their daughter Eliza and son Fisher around the downtown area Friday night for the annual "Sparkling Holiday Tradition" celebration. \nMany families came to the event to see the lighting of the Hospice Community Trees and the Canopy of Lights, which officially begins the holiday season in Bloomington.\nBrodie said it was the first time his family came to the event.\n"They have a whole month to be in the holiday mood now," Brodie said.\nThe ceremony started at 6 p.m. with music from the Bloomington Brass Band as people packed the Courthouse Square, on Kirkwood Ave. between Walnut St. and College Ave. \nJake Wonder, a Bloomington Brass Band member, played the coronet Friday night, but was also dressed as Santa Claus. Although he said he enjoyed the experience, he said he did not want to be identified as the "real" Santa.\n"If they knew I was Santa Claus, millions of kids would be trying to tell me what they want," Wonder said.\nAbout 7 p.m., Keith Klein, emcee for the event, welcomed the crowd to the 17th annual lighting ceremony. Polka Dot the Clown then led the audience in singing some Christmas songs, including "Deck the Halls," "Here Comes Santa Clause" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," before the countdown to the lighting began.\nExecutive Director of Downtown Bloomington commission Talisha Coppock said this was her 15th lighting event. She said about 100 volunteers and businesses put up the lights and started to support the event in July. \nThe Hospice Community Tree, on the southeast corner of the square, was lit as a dedication to the people involved in the Hospice of Bloomington Hospital, a care that provides comfort for people with limited life expectancy. An enclosed glass case was placed next to the tree with the names of persons memorialized and honored by the Hospice.\nThe event was supported by donations from local businesses and families.\nLights were not the only attraction for the night, especially for children.\nIn the Fountain Square Mall, Santa Claus listened to Christmas wish lists until about 9 p.m.\nBloomington resident Jimmy Teague and his girlfriend, Heather Weatherbee, said they waited in the mall so her daughter, Hanna, could tell Santa her wish for Christmas -- a Barbie video camera.\nBloomington resident Kenny Myers, who was dressed as Santa, said he loves helping kids.\n"It makes chills go up your body," Myers said.\nSanta is scheduled to be on the bottom floor of the Fountain Square Mall from 5 to 8 p.m. on Fridays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m on Saturdays and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays. He is also scheduled for visits between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Christmas Eve.\nIf you would like to support the Hospice with a donation, visit the lit canopy on the square or contact Bloomington Hospital at 800-206-5200.