Freshman scorer becoming go-to guy

Last season IU lost to the University of Michigan in the American Collegiate Hockey Association national semifinals. The final horn sounded the end of the Hoosiers season, and the end of IU's highest-scoring line in the 34-year history of IU hockey. One member of that line, Bryan Grant, left with the single-season goals, assists and points record and is currently second all-time at IU in those same categories.\nGrant wasn't the only one leaving. IU was left to fill 50 percent of its total points production. Coach Rich Holdeman said he knew that the veteran players would play a part in filling that production, but he would have to search for some talented freshmen as well.\nWhat he found was freshman Pete Johnson, a forward leading the Hooisers in goals, assists and points.\n"He has definitely fulfilled our expectations so far," Holdeman said. "He not only puts points on the board, he's a physical player, and we've been pretty happy about having him so far."\nJohnson has racked up eight goals and 10 assists through 15 games for the Hoosiers, averaging 1.2 points per game. In IU's last five matchups, Johnson has scored four times and helped on four others.\nHoldeman has been busy this season trying different lines, especially early on, but has rested on a trio of Johnson, graduate forward Tom Orr (six goals, seven assists), and sophomore forward Adam Trussel (four goals, three assists). The three have made one of IU's most productive lines this season, lighting the lamp at least one time in the last five games. Orr said Johnson helped the team early and has developed as the year progresses.\n"I think he's had the scoring touch the whole time he's been here," Orr said. "Now he's learning the system and doing the little things right."\nJohnson came to IU from Riverwoods, Ill. He said hockey played a large role in his decision but was not the deciding factor. Holdeman said his situation is common among IU hockey players.\n"They (the players) have decided to get on with their life and come to a good school where they still get to play hockey." Holdeman said. "Some are guys who considered playing varsity somewhere, and it didn't work out."\nThe ACHA is a nationwide league for club hockey teams and is not affiliated with the NCAA. ACHA teams do not have scholarships to give players and Holdeman said most, like IU, do not have the budget to actively recruit in the same ways as varsity athletic programs.\nThe ACHA has its advantages, too. Teams can invite players to come workout or practice with the team, which is against NCAA regulations. This allows club teams to see players without having to travel and to see how well they work with the team.\n"We rely heavily on tips we get from parents, alumni and friends of the program," Holdeman said. "The program has gotten to the point where we attract a fair amount of people, and we follow up on that. Our players do a good job in helping us as well." \nThis season IU is 8-6-1 and 2-3-1 in conference play. Johnson and the veterans are looking to get some Great Midwest Hockey League wins before the GMHL tournament Feb. 14 and 15. In the meantime, Johnson has some goals of his own.\n"I want to get a national championship under my belt," Johnson said. "I never won state in high school, so winning nationals is definitely a goal of mine."\nLife University, which dropped all athletics programs over the summer, would have defended that title. Johnson said their absence may open the door for IU. Johnson and the rest of the Hoosiers will have to finish in the top four in Southeast region standings to get to Anaheim, Calif., the site of the 2003 ACHA tournament.\n"With Life out of the picture, it's wide open this year, and we have a great shot at winning it," Johnson said.