Delta Chi loses charter, suspended for 1 year

IU's chapter of the Delta Chi fraternity will soon disappear from campus. The fraternity's international headquarters revoked the chapter's charter Wednesday as a result of an incident that occurred early this fall.\nFreshman Wes Kocher left a rush function at Delta Chi on Sept. 15, 2002 at about 1:45 a.m. and was found bleeding in his dorm room by his roommate minutes later. After remaining in the hospital for four days with head injuries acquired from blunt force trauma to the head, Kocher was released. \nThe incident has since caused ongoing problems within the house.\n"The beating was caused by someone other than a Delta Chi member," Delta Chi president Dave King said. "It is very unfortunate that if happened, and unfortunate that it has led to problems within the house."\nThe Risk Management Commission of the Delta Chi International Headquarters moved the status of the house to "level five" corrective action. This means the house will be vacated next semester and officially suspended for a minimum of one year.\n"It has been two-and-a-half months since the incident occurred and it is disheartening to see that our International Headquarters is now taking actions against our house," King said.\nKing said the lack of support from the University and Associate Dean of Students Jim Gibson helped the chapter decide not to appeal the National's decision. \nNationals are gathering in Columbus, Oh. this week. Charles Mancuso, president of the executive committee of the Delta Chi International Headquarters, said he knew nothing of the fraternity's expulsion from IU's campus as of Wednesday night.\n"We'll all be meeting soon and should know what is going on by tomorrow afternoon," Mancuso said.

Campus Editor Bennett Haeberle contributed to this story.