Welcome to the 21st Century

My respect for Purdue is now non-existent, and my opinion of Hoosiers fans has drastically declined.\nHere's why.\nWhile looking on Peegs.com, the IU fan Web site, I read an interesting posting on the football board.\nThe first post of this conversation was a link to a Sally Jenkins article on The Washington Post Web site. Ms. Jenkins is a sports columnist for the Post, and her column covers a wide variety of sports and other related issues. She is also the daughter of Dan Jenkins, one of the best sportswriters ever.\nIn her most recent column, Ms. Jenkins discussed the BCS standings, and how "quality wins" may not be so quality. She mentions Ohio State missing Iowa, making the Buckeyes perhaps a bit overrated. As a whole, Ms. Jenkins said that the Big Ten conference "doesn't look so great."\nWhich is true. The Big Ten just isn't that strong this year.\nBut the men who responded were offended. One man, a Purdue fan, even said "this is what happens when you let a woman write about football. It's like a guy writing about the experience of pregnancy." The worst was the silence of Hoosier fans to this sexist post.\nNow, I'm offended. As should Alexander Tsiaras, Barry Werth, Robert V. Johnson and Ian Davis. All men, and all have written books on pregnancy.\nCan those stuck with 19th century thoughts on gender roles please catch up to the 21st century. \nWomen can write about men's sports, and men can write about pregnancy. Sure, each side has its disadvantages to having full knowledge of those respective experiences. But it's not impossible.\nAside from Ms. Jenkins, women all across the country write sports for major newspapers. Jackie MacMullan is a lead columnist for the Boston Globe, and has worked for Sports Illustrated. Chris McKendry is a regular columnist on . Melissa Isaacson is the lone female of the Chicago Tribune sports columnists.\nAnd females aren't just columnists either. They are covering men's amateur and professional sports for major newspapers all over the nation. They do the play-by-play and color commentary on television and radio. Women in sports media isn't a new concept. In fact, it's become a regular career choice for females.\nUnfortunately, this is not the first time that I've heard rude comments about women and sports. When I wrote about my dislike for Ohio State, a Buckeye fan wrote me and said that I should put my apron on and get back to the kitchen.\nWell, I can tell you one thing, you definitely don't want me in the kitchen. Last year, I almost burned down a friend's apartment trying to make a frozen pizza. And that's one of the easiest things to make.\nThe real problem is that these two ignorant men's views aren't isolated. Gender roles, in sports and in life, are ridiculously skewed. \nNow I'm not asking for unisex bathrooms or men's professional sports to integrate women. I don't believe Augusta National should change its history, especially when all-female golf courses exist. Certain areas of life for men and women should be separate to keep a little identity for both sexes.\nBut as for sportswriting or the right to play sports -- no way. Title IX was a great law, because it gave women the ability to play sports and compete just like men. Sure, the level of competition is different, but that doesn't make females the weaker sex.\nAnd when a woman writes about sports, it doesn't mean she doesn't understand what's going on.\nMs. Jenkins has traveled to a variety of sporting events. Plus sports was likely a huge part of her childhood because her father covered sports. I know from personal experience. My dad was a sportswriter, and while my classmates' families went to Disney World, our family vacations were to Iowa for the CBA championships, or to Toledo for PGA tournaments. \nI grew up around sports, just like many females today. I love them, and I love writing about them. That's what makes a good sportswriter. Passion, ability, knowledge. Not their gender.\nSo next time, hopefully the men who disagree with what's been written don't consider the sex of the writer, but rather the content and the validity of the argument. Because really, that's all that matters.