Support Baron HIll for U.S. Rep. District 9

During the 2002 campaign, Baron Hill (Dem.) and Mike Sodrel (Rep.) have been traveling the newly reworked 9th District in an effort to earn every vote available and build the trust of southern Indiana residents. Both are southern Indiana natives -- Hill is from Seymour, Ind. and Sodrel is from New Albany, Ind. Both have support of their respective hometowns -- as shown by Hill's election four years ago and Sodrel's supporter's rousing cheers during President Bush's introduction in a stumping stop in Louisville, Ky. Saturday. But there is one key difference that shifts the IDS Editorial Board's support toward Hill and away from Sodrel -- the support of their respective parties. \nAccording to the Louisville Courier-Journal, Sodrel has donated more than $700,000 of his own and his family's money to his 2002 campaign while the Republican party has given minimal support, verbal and financial, to the candidate from New Albany. Even at the before-mentioned presidential stop in Louisville, Sodrel was simply a part of the introduction while the campaigning was done for Republican incumbent from Kentucky's third district, Anne Northup. But despite this, Sodrel told his constituents in the ninth that Bush was making a campaign stop for their district, which was simply not the case.\nHill on the other hand not only has the full support of his party and constituents, but he also has the support of the individual who vacated the seat he currently holds. Former Congressman from the ninth district Lee Hamilton was a powerhouse in legislative politics and is currently an IU employee. Hamilton endorsed Hill in Hill's original election bid and continues to do so to this day. With area support and Hill's impressive resume, (fighting to protect social security while seeking to invest it to provide higher yields, emphasizing focus on the growing deficit, providing a prescription drug plan under Medicare and expanding children's health insurance), IU and Bloomington residents should chose Hill.