Student sought for trustee board

The position for the next student to sit on the IU board of trustees is up for grabs to almost any full-time student willing to fill out an application.\nThe applications are now available in the office of the trustees in room M005 in the Indiana Memorial Union. The chosen student will take the place of Sacha Willsey, the current student representative on the board.\nThe IU board of trustees has nine members, six who are appointed by the governor and three that are elected by alumni. The student member is one of the six appointed by the governor.\nRobin Gress, the secretary to the board, said the process begins with a review of the student applications. A 10-member committee, formed by IU President Myles Brand, will choose 10 students to present to the governor.\nThe committee is composed of seven student body presidents from all satellite campuses other than Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne. IPFW is governed by Purdue University. Those seven are co-chaired by Willsey and Tracy Edwards, an undergraduate student at IU Kokomo.\nThe length of the term for a student trustee is two years, one less than all other trustees.\n"It's easier to find someone that can make that commitment for two years rather than three," Gress said. She said generally sophomores and juniors apply, but freshmen are also welcome. \nFrederick Eichhorn, president of the board, said the committee will look for students that have the willingness to spend the time studying University issues and the time necessary to be an effective trustee.\nThe trustee's responsibilities include attending trustee meetings every month for a day and a half, as well as preparation in between meetings. He or she will also have to attend ceremonies ranging from graduation to ground-breaking ceremonies.\n"It's a high honor, a privilege, but it's also a lot of hard work," Eichhorn said.\nWillsey, the current student trustee, said she is excited to help pick the student that will replace her position.\n"I believe very much in empowering other people, giving power away when you have it," Willsey said. "I'm glad someone else will get to experience that as well."\nWillsey said the trustees need someone with an independent mind, as well as strong ideas and opinions.\n"You can't just nod and agree," Willsey said. "You have to be proactive. It's very important to bring the student body closer with the trustees." \nShe said it is important for the board to have someone that is with the students everyday, talking and thinking with the student body on a regular basis.\n"I think it's crucial to bring that perspective," she said.\nEdwards, Willsey's co-chair on the search committee, said students must apply for the position with an open agenda.\n"They need to come in with an open mind for the students," Edwards said.\nWillsey's term will end June 30, with the new student trustee overtaking the position at the beginning of July.\nThe application includes an essay and at least one letter of recommendation. The applicant must also be able to confirm that they will have sufficient time to serve as a trustee and that it will not have a negative impact on their academic standing.\nAlthough Willsey will have to pass her position on next summer, she said she is happy another fellow student will take her place.\n"Like Myles Brand always told me, the University was here before us and it will be here after," Willsey said. "We must make sure it's a little better when we leave"