Simple symphonies are stressful

Instrumentalists and singers are encouraged to partake in recitals

While many of us are cracking the books for history, biology or business exams, the students in the music school are preparing for their big recitals. The amount of rehearsal time and effort they put into their recitals is immeasurable.\nAlmost any student can perform a recital, but it must be done with the approval of the major professor. Most students are required to do a recital in both their junior and senior year for the undergraduate degree in music, but they must first pass a recital "hearing" where teachers from their department listen to the song excerpts for the recital. \nEven though the recitals are between forty to fifty minutes, the hours used to prepare them are much longer. Senior Theresa Koenig, a bassoonist, said there are several types of recitals that students perform -- junior, senior, ad hoc and student recitals -- so the preparation varies. The student, junior and senior recitals are generally a solo performance and ad hoc recitals are a group effort.\n"The recent (ad hoc) recital I did would be labeled more as a concert because there were so many people involved with it," Koenig said.\nRehearsals with other musicians take up even more time, and preparations begin months before the recital. Students usually choose music pieces that reflect their instrument's repertoire. Duos are common between instrumentalists and vocalists. For chamber music, such as wind or string quartet, a group of three or more musicians is necessary. Students can play with whomever they want, but for the most part, pianists are assigned to them in the teacher's studio.\nPerforming in front of an audience can give many students butterflies in their stomach, but senior Cecilia Kwok, a cellist, said "some people eat bananas and take beta-blockers to calm their nerves." Others practice more in front of their families and friends to familiarize themselves with the environment. Although the number of people in the audience varies, their support increases the student's self-esteem and reduces the anxiousness each time they perform. \n"It does not really matter if the audience is big or small," Koenig said. "For me, the bigger the audience, the less you know who is out there listening, and in the 'real world,' recital audiences can be quite large."\nEven though playing to a crowd can induce much anxiety, the audience can also fuel a musician's performance. Senior Claire Starz, a flutist, said the most rewarding aspect of performing in a recital is watching the audience's reaction. \n"If you feel like you have played a good recital and friends or colleagues honestly enjoyed themselves, there is no better feeling," Starz said. "Music is meant to make people happy, to make them think, and to make them dream. If I can inspire someone through my music, then I have achieved the ultimate goal."\nThough each music student has their own method of preparation, there are some standard procedures they all follow to ensure a great performance.\n"Play in master classes as frequently as you can, but don't overdo it," Kwok said. "When it's time for your recital, go out there and just have fun."\nStarz said she recommends recording yourself playing one or two performances and memorizing a few music pieces so you will not be as nervous when you go on stage, as sometimes that anxiety can impede a performance.\n"Occasionally I have glimmers of self-doubt, and sometimes I do get frustrated, but those feelings never last very long," Starz said. "Because I enjoy playing music so much and because it is such an integral part of my life, I am sure I won't ever quit"