Old exercise now modern-day trend

Inhaling and exhaling with their stomachs pulled tightly into their spine, 27 students were hard at work at the SRSC's Monday night Pilates class. Doing a series of exercises founded in the 1920s by Joseph H. Pilates, these IU students have joined this revolutionary workout and realized it is much more than a contemporary trend. \nColleen McMahon, program director for fitness and wellness, coordinates mind-body programs, including Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi and Kung Fu at IU. \n"We just began the Pilates sessions at IU a year ago. All of our instructors are certified to teach Pilates," McMahon said. \nMisty Schneider, Group Exercise Coordinator for Fitness Activities, said Pilates classes have been full this year. \n"Both waitlists were filled and people were waiting outside to sign up at 8 a.m.," she said. \nPilates classes through the SRSC require an additional fee of $25 for seven weeks or $40 for the entire semester. This fee allows students to participate in all mind-body programs. \n"Pilates offers a balance of both back and abdominal strengthening exercises," said Camilla Saulsbury, a Pilates instructor at the SRSC. \nThere are several pilates exercises that lengthen the hamstrings, which aids in releasing the lower back, she said. \n"One of the most basic exercises is to work on the neutral pelvis," Saulsbury said.\nThe neutral pelvis focuses on keeping the natural curves of the spine throughout the exercises. Participants support this placement by keeping their navel to the spine, a phrase you hear throughout all Pilates classes. This means pulling the stomach in and breathing while keeping the stomach flat and letting the ribs rise and fall. Scooping the abdominal muscles deeper to the spine allows for more efficient use of all layers of the muscles and protects the lower back.\nEmily Bogard, IU professor of Structural Anatomy and owner of the pilates studio Pilates Annex, offers a variety of levels of classes Monday through Thursday mornings and evenings. There is also a class offered Saturday morning. \n"Awareness of self-use, inhibition of poor postural habits and strengthening the abdominal and spinal muscles are vital to maintaining a healthy body. Learning to move intelligently is a conscious process facilitated by most mind-body disciplines," Bogard said.\nKnown benefits of this work include a firmer, sleeker body; increased muscle flexibility and joint mobility; improved coordination, posture, balance and alignment; decreased fatigue and pain. \nSenior Courtney Sutter is a student at the Pilates Annex. \n"Pilates helps me feel more balanced. It does so physically, but it also clears my mind when I finish," she said. "When I don't go, my body craves that time. Even doing it on my own time makes me feel revived"