No love lost between rivals IU and Purdue

The hatred between the Hoosiers and Purdue runs deep. One hundred six years deep. One of the nation's most storied rivalries will take place again this weekend as IU travels to West Lafayette this Saturday.\nThe Hoosiers and Boilermakers have done battle on the gridiron since 1891 with Purdue winning that contest 60-0. The Boilers have continued that dominance throughout most of the century and hold a 63-35-6 overall record.\nThe tradition between IU and Purdue would not be complete without one of the most famous trophies in college football, the Old Oaken Bucket. The two teams have battled for the bucket since 1925 when the two ended in a 0-0 tie. The winning team adds another bronze letter with the score of the game after the victory.\nThe bucket is now in the possession of the Hoosiers after IU upset Purdue in Memorial Stadium last year 13-7. Coach Gerry DiNardo said he did not really have a rivalry game similar to this at Louisiana State, but he said he understands the magnitude of this game.\n"It's a very intense rivalry, and I think we all understand that," DiNardo said. "The tempo changes a little bit in weeks like this. We'll treat it the same way as everyone else before us has treated it."\nSenior defensive lineman Kris Dielman said this game is important for the seniors. They have only held the bucket once during the past three years. He said it would be great to go out with a win\n"It's sad for the seniors because we never had a chance to go to a bowl game," Dielman said. "In the future that's going to change, but for this year, this is our bowl game. So that bucket means everything to us. There's no better feeling I've ever had in football, from high school and when I was younger, than running off the field with the bucket in our hands."\nThis past week, the seniors have taken turns talking about their experiences in the game with the coaches and younger players. Freshman linebacker John Kerr said it has helped him get an idea of the rivalry.\n"All I hear about is how much everybody hates Purdue and how much Purdue hates us," Kerr said. "You can definitely tell there is bad blood between these two teams. They're just trying to explain it to the freshman, trying to get us on that same plain with them with our level of hatred for that team."\nSenior defensive back Antonio Watson said the team was shown films of fights that occurred in previous games. Watson said the team will have to be prepared for that type of game but also be ready to play smart.\n"I really didn't know about it until I stepped out onto the field and saw how the guys come at you trash talking, cursing, cheap shots," Watson said. "It's going to be a battle, more like a war. You just have to be ready for a war."\nSince the Hoosiers cannot qualify for a bowl game, the team will be playing for pride. But the Boilermakers have a post-season berth on the line. A win, they are in. A loss and their season is over.\n"Personally, I think it's getting the Bucket back (that is more important)," Purdue senior linebacker Joe Odom said in a statement. "It's a tough choice, but the bucket is what everyone looks at for the next year between Purdue and Indiana. It's the personal rival situation, and I don't think it matters how either team is doing. If you win this game, it caps off your season."\nPurdue coach Joe Tiller said the game is important because it affects their post-season play, but it won't detract from the rivalry. Odom said it doesn't matter how good each team has played so far this season.\n"It doesn't matter how much talent each team has," Odom said. "It doesn't matter how good each team is. One team could be No. 1 in the nation and the other could be last in the nation. Both teams are going to show up to play, and both will get the opponent's "A" game. That's what makes this such a great rivalry."\nDielman said the Hoosiers would like nothing more than to end the Boilers' season. IU last won in West Lafayette in 1996. Kerr said the team just needs to snap out of its current losing streak.\n"I just want to win," Kerr said. "I hate losing. I take every game the same. I hate everybody just as much as I hate another team"