Mayor Fernandez gets back to work

After election loss, mayor still not saying if he will seek another term

Now that Bloomington Mayor John Fernandez's campaign is over, he can finally get back to work, spending his remaining year in office planning to expand the city through transportation. \nFernandez, the democratic candidate for Secretary of State of Indiana, lost to Republican Todd Rokita by a 9 percent vote. \nDuring his campaign, Fernandez had to juggle both the election and his recent job, but Penny Sims, communication director for the mayor, said during this time the city did not lose any momentum. \n"The city works in such a way that we were able to work the same as we always have," Sims said.\nSims said the heads of each department handled the day to day job, while any impeding crises were the responsibility of Deputy Mayor James McNamara. Sims said Fernandez did most of his managing during council meetings held every two weeks. \n"He is not a micromanager," Sims said. "The department heads know what they are doing and only need to report to the mayor with their progress."\nThe only difficulties Sims said Fernandez faced in trying to handle his job and the election were issues of time scheduling. \n"It was a little bit tough for scheduling," Sims said. "He sometimes had scheduling issues with appearing where people wanted him to."\nAngela Belden, Fernandez's campaign manager, said his loss in the election will in no way effect his performance for the remainder of his administration. \n"He is still the mayor, so nothing really is going to change," Belden said. "He has an election next year, so he still has a job to do."\nFernandez, elected in 1995, now in his second term, has not commented yet on whether or not he will seek re-election in Bloomington come November next year or move on to a different political career path. \n"He needs some time to reassess some things before he makes any statements on his political career," Sims said. \nSims commented on many goals Fernandez is currently working towards, including his goals for expanding the city.\nOne of these projects is the Growth Policy Plan. The project, which would involve expanding the city of Bloomington, received approval from the city council Wednesday night. \n"We have made quite a bit of progress, and now if we receive approval from the planning commission, then we can start working on the zoning," Sims said. \nAnother project in the works is the Alternative Transportations and Greenways Plan, which involves building more greenways to allow Bloomington residents to walk, jog and ride their way anywhere in town. If land acquisitions work out, a greenway will be built through the middle of downtown Bloomington. \n"The goal is to increase our network of trails throughout our city," Sims said.\nFinally, Fernandez is currently working on the W. 3rd St. Project, which involves expanding 3rd St. from Landmark St. to Interstate 37. \nWhether or not he decides to seek re-election next year, Sims said the rest of his administration will be busy regardless. \n"He has plenty on his plate to keep him busy," Sims said. \nFernandez could not be reached at press time. \nFernandez received 42 percent of the vote, compared to Rokita's 53 percent. Libertarian candidate Rebecca Sink-Burris received 4 percent.