Humane campaign

Since 1956, the Monroe County Humane Association, a nonprofit and volunteer-driven animal-welfare organization, has been working and advocating for the well being of companion and farm animals and wildlife in Monroe County.\nTonight, Encore Café, 316 W. Sixth St., will play host to the release party for the association's new benefit CD. Michael White, Carrie Newcomer and 02R Blue Band will perform, and Rich Anton, a longtime radio personality, will emcee the event.\nThe MCHA provides financial assistance to shelter programs in addition to education and outreach programs. Funds from the benefit CD will go toward Campaign Humane, a $2.9 million fund-raising project started in March 2002.\nCampaign Director Maria Heslin says the album will hopefully generate awareness of Campaign Humane.\n"The CD is also designed to celebrate our love of animals through some terrific music," Heslin says.\nThe album was conceptualized by Bonnie Gordon-Lucas, a volunteer with the MCHA and local artist and illustrator whose artwork will appear on the cover of the CD. \n"The CD is incredibly good, because I think animals and music are a winning combination," Heslin says. "From rap and rock to folk and Irish music, the songs give homage to almost every member of the animal kingdom."\nThe CD features 12 musicians, including Michael White, Newcomer, Kid Kazooey and The Ballroom Roustabouts, Laura Lane Powell, Tom Roznowski and No Net. \n"The fact that these musicians are donating their time for a good cause makes it all that much better," says Mark Kruzan, honorary chair for Project ASAP (Aggressive Spay/Neuter Program)!. "People buying the CD will get some great music and be helping their animal friends at the same time."\nThe cost of the CD is $15 or two for $25. Heslin says Gordon-Lucas' cover design is wonderful, whimsical and colorful. It features monkeys, dogs, cats, birds and rabbits playing music in the Courthouse Square in downtown Bloomington.\nWhite has been involved with the MCHA for the past 15 years. He has also run the radio show "Pets Without Partners" since 1985. His track on the album, "Pieces of Bob," is a folk/rock number, inspired by the death of his dog. He said he was sitting on his couch one day and found some dog fur behind it. \n"The song starts out with guy singing about this Bob person," White says. "Guy about a guy -- doesn't happen very often." White says that as the song progresses, it becomes more apparent that Bob is a dog.\nWhite adopted Bob from the shelter a number of years ago despite the fact that everyone told him he was supposed to be the meanest dog in the shelter. He says he saw a loving companion beneath that. \n"It all comes down to people having a greater awareness animals share our planet with us and deserve the same respect we give other people," White says.\nHeslin says that a lot of heart and compassion for animals went into the making of the CD.\n"It's obvious in every tune that all the artists who contributed to this effort have a true, touching appreciation and fondness for animals," Heslin says. \nOn the agenda for the campaign are the building of a new Bloomington/ Monroe County Animal Shelter, a new MCHA Humane Education Center, and launching Project ASAP!. \n"When you consider that more than 3,200 unwanted pets have to be euthanized in Monroe County every year, raising awareness and money for a new animal shelter is something everyone should be a part of," says Kruzan.\nTo date, the shelter has raised $1.2 million toward its goal. \nIn addition to live music, there will also be door prizes, refreshments and more information about Campaign Humane from special guests. All are welcome.\nHeslin says the response to the event has been terrific, and they expect all different kinds of community members, students and MCHA supporters to be present because music and animals are so well-loved by such a large cross section of people. \n"My family got our dog through a humane society at home," says Abigail Manship, a freshman. "This sort of event is one that I definitely think IU students should go to, to give back some of the love our pets give us"