Hoosiers undergo identity change with loss of prominent players

Like two important pieces to a jigsaw puzzle, center Jill Chapman and guard Heather Cassady completed the team picture for IU. Their prominent roles on the team were fundamental to its success last year and for years to come. They combined to score 43 percent of IU's points last season.\nWithout Chapman and Cassady and fellow starters Tara Jones and Erin McGinnis, an obvious question exists. With the departure of five players, including arguably two of the best players in school history, who will rise to the occasion? \nChapman earned All-Big Ten honors by both the coaches and the media as she left IU ranking third on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,865 points. \nWhile it may seem like a daunting task, one player downplayed to the notion of having to replace Chapman.\n"I don't think I'm replacing her, we are different personnel wise," senior Lisa Eckart said. "We don't necessarily have a big girl. We have a lot of talented guards. A lot of the scoring is going to come from the outside. We are solid on the perimeter."\nEckart attended Evansville and averaged 15.5 points per contest before transferring to IU last season. \nOther key frontcourt players who likely will contribute include seniors Allison Skapin and Jill Hartman, and junior Jamie Gathing. \nCoach Kathi Bennett, who coached Eckart at Evansville, explains the team's offensive philosophy last year versus \nthis year.\n"Last year, we would throw the ball down to Jill (Chapman) and work a lot of things for her," Bennett said. "This year, we're going to see Jenny (DeMuth) taking a lot more shots and becoming more of a feature player in the offense. A healthy Kristen (Bodine) will allow us to get some more easy scoring opportunities in transition as well as in the half court set because she is such a good passer."\nAt the same time as Chapman starred, Cassady garnered second team All-Big Ten by the coaches last season and MVP of the conference tournament.\nBodine, a senior, and DeMuth, a sophomore, will handle the majority of guard duties. Bodine redshirted the last two seasons, last year because of a severe injury and the year before after transferring from Butler.\nDeMuth started 27 games one year ago and said she is confident in her abilities as she averaged over 25 minutes a game.\nThe Hoosiers are deep at the guard position. Eight of the 14 players are capable of playing guard. LeeAnn Stephenson and Kali Kullberg will likely play in their first years at IU. Stephenson is a junior college transfer, while Kullberg is a freshman from Minnesota. Moreover, freshman Cyndi Valentin, a Bloomington native should see action.\nSenior Khisha Asubuhi is thinking about the lack of size on this team.\n"Without Chapman and Jelena (Lazic) we have lost size," Asubuhi said. "We are going to have to play quicker and we are all going to have to block out and rebound, including the guards." \nWith the success and attention the duo of Chapman and Cassady brought the team, recruits are starting to consider IU a more viable option for their college choice. Bennett said the Hoosiers' success last year has helped them get their foot in the door with some recruits.\n"We are vying for recruits we wouldn't otherwise have a chance at," Bennett said. "We've competed with Purdue with more players than we ever have before." \nDeMuth said the chemistry and leadership role on this team wouldn't take a hit with the loss of Chapman and Cassady.\n"There's not any pressure to replace Chapman and Cassady," DeMuth said. "Our younger players will fill in their shoes nicely I think. Also, I have confidence in my teammates and myself. They're big shoes to fill, but I think we'll be fine"