Here's to being the worst

Dun-da-da-da. They're baaaaack. \nThat's right. The weekly awards are making a return appearance. And why not?\nBy losing, or getting destroyed, by Michigan State, the team self-appointed themselves into the position of the worst team in the Big Ten. Give them a crown, or even a banner. \n"2002 Big Ten Bottom-Dwellers."\nCongrata-freakin-lations. What an honor. IU coach Gerry DiNardo said in his post-game press conference that he felt really sorry for the seniors that they wouldn't be able to play in a bowl game. Let us not forget, however, that the team should have sewn up a bid by this point. But by blowing it against Iowa, unexplainably losing to Northwestern and getting completely embarrassed by the Spartans, the Hoosiers ruined their chances all by themselves.\nSo while we ponder how it is that a team can lose both their captains and their coach within a two-week span, go on the road and then beat up on the home team, let's hand out some awards.\nBiggest sham at Indiana University\nThe IU athletic department. Has it escaped everyone else's attention that the original price for basketball tickets was $11.50? And if it hasn't, can anyone explain why the students who purchased the tickets are only getting refunded $11 per ticket. Hmmm, apparently the athletic department is experiencing counting problems again. And why, if IU is $3-million dollars in debt, pay former Athletic Director Michael McNeely $800,000 to go away. The University is still paying former IU football coach Cam Cameron and former basketball coach Bob Knight. Does anyone wonder why this school is in debt? What's needed is a complete overhaul of the administrative and athletic department staff. We need reasonable people to run this school. And by the way -- it's not McNeely's fault football ticket sales sagged. When you're worst in the Big Ten, not so many people want to come to the games.\nItem most needed by IU Saturday\nStick-em's for the receivers. A lifetime supply, pronto. IU quarterback Gibran Hamdan was 11-for-25 with two interceptions before being taken out once the game was out of control. The running backs for IU were less-than-impressive, gaining a mere 124 yards total, so the offense had to look elsewhere to move the ball. But when receivers are dropping balls that hit them in the numbers, you know there are problems. \nBest part of the entire game\nGetting a chance to watch Spartan wide receiver Charles Rogers. Wow. I may not be a fan of Michigan State -- but they are worth watching just to see him in action. Rogers twice caught balls that to anyone else appeared completely uncatchable. The first time was when State scored in the endzone to go up 21-7. Rogers caught the ball while being smothered by the IU safety, and somehow managed to fight for and grab the ball. The second was a 17-yard reception that set-up the next Spartan touchdown. Once again, Rogers was covered. And once again, he was money.\nMost understandable event\nWhen the crowd got up and streamed out of the stadium at halftime. The score was 42-7. At this point, there was no reason to stay.\nMost hope-inducing event\nEven though the Hoosiers were down by five touchdowns, the defense right out of halftime was impressive. After Gibran Hamdan was intercepted on the first series of the second half, the defense came in, kept the Spartans out of the endzone and blocked a field goal attempt. Freshman cornerback Leonard Bryant was responsible for keeping the Spartans out of the endzone, with nice coverage on Charles Rogers. Then senior cornerback Antonio Watson blocked the field goal attempt. Too bad those plays came too late. \nBiggest letdown\nThe season in general. The results turned out far, far less than expected. The players said they were playing the next two games for pride, now that a post-season isn't going to happen. Playing for pride is respectable, but they should be playing for a decent bowl bid.