Handel and Bach are monsters of Baroque

This past Sunday I saw the performance of a very unique and relatively unheard type of orchestra. Yet despite its uncommonness, it was the only type of orchestra that existed for almost a century. That kind of orchestra is the Baroque orchestra, and IU's own Baroque orchestra performed this past Sunday at Auer Hall. The Baroque orchestra is a very up-close-and-personal type of orchestra, having a small number of musicians and a smaller array of instruments. Also, the director plays violin as well, which adds a more personal flavor than the aloofness of the orchestral conductor. Since the Baroque orchestra is from roughly 300 years ago, some of the instruments are relatively strange for the untrained listener like the harpsichord, recorder, archlute, and theorbo. But these are just a few of the things that make the Baroque orchestra a unique experience.\nWhat would the Baroque orchestra be without the music? Nothing. So the music is a key ingredient to the Baroque orchestra's magic. And this Sunday saw works by both the giants and some lesser-known composers. First on the program was an overture by Thomas Arne. Just to differentiate, the Baroque overture is nothing like the orchestral overture: the Baroque one is much longer and divided into movements. This particular overture came relatively late in the Baroque, which meant it had a touch of the later classical style in it. This work was light and enjoyable -- a decent opening piece.\nThis was followed by "Faesiculus VII - Constantia" from the "Florilegium Primum," written in 1695 by Georg Muffat. This eight-movement work which is very obscure featured some wonderful melodies played by a relatively large variety of instruments. It was an extremely beautiful work, and it was nice to hear some lesser-known works being played as well as the important ones. That fact is very much appreciated.\nThe next two pieces were works of the two giants of the Baroque: J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel. The Bach overture of eight movements was performed first and featured a fantastic flute soloist (whose name was regrettably not on the program). The Handel was another overture, this time of only seven movements. Not much can be said of each other than that both are typical of their respective composers' works and that both were a delight to the ear.\nBaroque music is really a wonderful experience. The slow movements sing and the fast ones absolutely fly. There is such a variety of melody and instrumentation that the listener does not know what to expect from the next piece. It also gives listeners a chance to expand their musical horizons and hear unfamiliar works on unfamiliar instruments. It is a highly recommended listening experience and a perfect way to relax on a Sunday afternoon.