Wolverines too much for IU

Team retains 5th-place ranking in conference play

IU lost a hard fought match against Big Ten leader Michigan Sunday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers gave up their first home loss of the season to the No. 9 Wolverines in a 2-0 shutout. \nIn the first half, both team's defenses controlled the attacking, and IU was able to prevent the Big Ten's points leader, senior forward Abby Crumpton, from doing any damage. \nRight from the beginning of the second period, Michigan loaded the guns and started to fire. IU looked vulnerable for the first five minutes but calmed down and got the ball into their attacking third. Yet, that worked in favor of the Wolverines because in the 57th minute Michigan forced a fast break off an errant throw in and took advantage of IU's off balance defense. Freshman Wolverine forward Therese Heaton put the ball past junior goalkeeper Shaunna Daugherty off an assist from Crumpton.\nIU stayed with the Wolverines and had some good chances in both the first and second half, including a shot that went just wide left from junior forward Shelly Gruszka.\n"I think we were without a doubt unlucky," coach Mick Lyon said.\nMichigan's second goal came off a rebound from a jump save by Daugherty. Junior forward Stephanie Chavez took advantage of the open net and put her team up 2-0 in the 72nd minute.\nAt this point, IU could have been demoralized and given in to the slippery conditions and insurmountable deficit, but instead they turned it up a notch and kept brawling.\n"I was just really proud in the last ten minutes of the game. We were down 2-0 and everybody was fighting; their team was just holding on," senior forward Jenny Mann said. "We stuck it out, and we were still trying to get a goal." \nLyon said it was a credit to the personality and drive of his players that they never quit. \nThe weekend was not a complete loss because IU did prevail over Michigan State 1-0 in double overtime Friday evening. Sophomore midfielder Kim Grodek nailed a shot in the middle of a frantic melee close to the goal after senior tri-captain midfielder Kara Bryan's shot flew off the post. It was Grodek's first golden goal of the season. \n"Kara had a great shot that hit the post," Grodek said. "I was lucky I was there for the rebound, and thank God I got over it. I would have been a little mad if I missed it."\nLyon said the game came down to who could finish their last chance, and his team was able to do it. \n"It was a pure guts performance," he said. "That's why it was so hard to get a win. That's what we said in the last time out, 'We need to find a win; you've earned the win.'"\nAll in all, IU kept their 5th place standing in the Big Ten.\n"We've seen the teams at the top of the table, and they're not special," Lyon said. "I'm not afraid of anybody at this point." \nMann said beating MSU was a huge win and that even though they lost to Michigan, the team feels ok about their standing in the race for the Big Ten tournament. The next few games will be crucial for Lyon and the team to cement their postseason opportunities. This weekend's play showed that the team is ready for the end of the season run.\n"I'm very, very happy about the whole weekend. I'm ticked off that we lost because I don't think we should ever lose," Lyon said. "What I'm happy about is that yet again we showed some character and the perseverance to fight, and that's very good"