Webmail glitches irritate some students

Students attempting to logon to their Webmail accounts over the weekend found the e-mail system close to inoperable.\nWebmail and the IU Web site have experienced problems since Friday and UITS employees are working to correct the problem.\nMost students have tried to logon their usernames but have not been able to get access to the system.\n"The web technical services engineers are working to assess the situation with web page access," said Karen Adams, the chief of staff for UITS.\nAdams said the problems aren't just with Webmail but is part of a bigger problem within the system.\nThe problems have caused some students some unneccessary grief in their classes.\n"I was waiting for these emails from my professors about a a mid-term," said sophomore Elizabeth Moran. "I was trying to get on for about an hour on Saturday and then I just gave up. I couldn't wait any longer. I went on for another hour and finally got on today."\nMoran said the e-mail problems caused her to study the wrong materials for her classes.\nSenior Aaron Zubler experienced some of the problems.\n"I've actually been trying to contact professors about classwork," Zubler said. \nHe said he was thinking about trying to call his professors about class, but didn't know if that was appropriate.\n"We become so dependent on e-mail and these so-called conveniences and when they break down, we don't know what to do," Zubler said.