Transfer student continues training after year hiatus

Last year the men's cross country team brought in one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. In addition to top freshmen, the team also landed a strong transfer from Rutgers, junior Jon Little.\nAfter an eighth place finish in the Big East Conference meet, Little questioned his potential if he stayed at Rutgers. He said he was very impressed with IU coach Robert Chapman's ability to take good high school runners and make a great college team and decided Indiana was the place for him. Little's decision was easier due to his father accepting a job as a professor at the university.\nSome members of the team were initially wary of the transfer. Sophomore Tom Burns said he was not sure there was a place for Little on the team. \nNow he says he was completely wrong.\n"He brings a dimension to the team that no one else can," Burns said. "Jon's transfer brought a leader to this team. Although he didn't know anyone here, he found his spot on the team and worked hard."\nLittle used hard work to ensure the team's acceptance. Chapman said that Little has the unique ability to maximize his potential and that earns him respect.\n"I think the team has accepted me because I always work hard at practice and lay it on the line at races," Little said. "That is what our team is all about this year, so my competitiveness is a good match for this year's team."\n Little has battled struggles since his transfer to IU. He was forced to sit out last season due to NCAA rules for transfer athletes. He said it killed him to have to sit out the season because he thought he could help the team, but the new freshmen recruits red-shirted with him and that made the adjustment easier.\nThen Little came down with mononucleosis during track season. He said he ran worse than when he was a freshman. The disease kept him from beginning his training until late August and he said he is just now starting to feel in good shape.\nThis season, Little's main role is to bring depth to the team and leadership. Due to his late start he has not had the impact he would like, but his competitive spirit forces him to do what he can to help the team and try for the team's top five.\nChapman said that Little always has a chance to help the team in cross country and in track he has a good chance of excellence in the steeplechase.\nBurns said Little has already made a great impact in his short time on the team. His attitude and determination along with the sacrifice he made to pursue his potential has earned the respect of his teammates and makes him seem like one of the veterans on the team.\n"He transferred to IU leaving his friends, his home and his comfort zone at Rutgers," Burns said. "It takes a man of character to be willing to leave everything behind for a chance at being great"