Sorority talent show receives standing ovation from audience

Zeta Phi Beta sorority held its third annual ZetApollo talent show Friday night to a full house, with acts ranging from dance groups and poetry readings to gospel singers. \nThe night kicked off with In-Motion, a student run dance group that started ten years ago at IU.\nDespite having performed in front of audiences before, the dancers were still nervous. \n"This was more intimidating because we could get booed off," said junior Leah Barak. \nDespite their anxieties, the girls said they enjoyed themselves. \n"It was awesome!" said junior Alice Cockrum, co-director of "In-Motion."\nGospel singer Jacob Hughes won the event, and received a $100 cash prize. \nThe talent show was one of several events the sorority organized throughout last week. Other activities included a drive to help victims of the Martinsville tornado disaster, an open house and a karaoke night. \nThe ZetApollo talent show, which was in the IMU Frangipani Room, has become a staple of the Zeta Phi Beta activities calendar due to its popularity.\n"I thought it was a success," Zeta Phi Beta secretary Rickesha Ewing-Spates said of Friday's event. "We had a great turnout."\nThe talent show let the audience be the judge of each act, but in an unconventional way. Each performer was given 30 seconds to start their act, after which it was up to the audience to decide whether they should be on stage any longer. \nThe audience booed or cheered, depending on the quality of the act, and the act was taken care of accordingly. Performers were pulled off stage traditionally: with a cane.\nLocal groups, as well as several from Indianapolis were present. The rap group "Naptown" from Indianapolis and local dance group IU Essence performed at the event. \nHughes, a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity and the IU Soul Revue, performed the gospel song "I won't complain" as a solo act. \n"I feel blessed that people took time to listen to what I had to say," he said of his performance, "It's good to get some recognition."\nThe audience was responsive, with many acts receiving a standing ovation. Others, however, were not so lucky, and several were booed off stage. It was all in good humor, however, and no acts were hurt in the proceedings.\n"It was really entertaining, even though some groups were much better than others," said junior Jenna Rooney.