Purdue alumni center to showcase accomplishments

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Purdue University is building a $16 million alumni center and Hall of Achievement, which will feature the school's accomplishments through interactive kiosks and museum-like exhibits.\nThe university gave some benefactors and graduates a first look Saturday at the plans. Funded by private sources, the 67,000-square-foot center is under construction on the eastern edge of campus. Completion is expected in late 2003 or early 2004.\nCarolyn Gery, Purdue's associate vice president for development, said the center would be an important addition to campus, providing a gathering place for graduates and housing alumni and fund-raising offices.\nGuests who attended Saturday's ceremonial groundbreaking before the Purdue-Michigan football game had the opportunity to view the architectural renderings of the center.\nThe center is being named for Richard and Sandy Dauch, who have donated $3 million toward its construction.\n"The renderings have been shown to different people," Richard Dauch said. "We've seen the excitement in their eyes, and we've seen the spirit of Purdue be kindled by it."\nThe Hall of Achievement will display state-of-the art, changeable showcases featuring photographs, memorabilia and other objects that highlight some of the university's accomplishments and graduates.\nSome of the planned exhibits include tributes to the Purdue astronauts, Amelia Earhart, Purdue's athletic stars and faculty members.