Man exposes self at dorm

Police: 21 indecent exposure reports on campus 'not unusual' compared to past

A male exposed himself to a female student outside McNutt Quad early Saturday morning, according to the IU Police Department. An 18-year-old female student reported the indecent exposure to the IUPD at around 4:40 a.m., Sgt. Tim Lewis said.\nThe female saw the suspect as she was approaching the northwest entrance of McNutt Crone from the McNutt Quad parking lot, according to a police report. When she entered the dorm, she turned around to see the suspect was exposing himself and masturbating. The direction the suspect left in is unknown. Lewis said the man did not enter McNutt.\nThis incident comes after recent cases of a male intruder entering unlocked women's dorm rooms and restrooms, as well as a female being assaulted in the Wright Quad Courtyard.\nBut Lewis said the indecent exposure incident doesn't appear to be connected to the prior cases.\nLewis said there have already been 21 cases of indecent exposure around campus this year, including Ballantine Hall, the Arboretum and the Main Library.\n"It's not unusual in the context of the year," Lewis said. \nBut after the recent incidents involving female students on campus, Residential Programs and Services administrators said they hope students understand they need to remain safe.\n"I'm afraid that too many (students) feel too safe," director of RPS Bob Weith said. \nWeith said RPS tries to work with students even before they become students, making sure they understand how to remain safe within the dorms.\n"Because we always have students coming, we have to educate, and re-educate and re-educate," Weith said.\nPart of that education involves floor meetings within the dorms, which have been more frequent in dorms like Wright that have seen recent incidents.\n"Don't think of us wanting people to panic, but we want people to be smart, to be educated," Weith said.\nHeide Hullsiek, a freshman living in McNutt, said she wasn't worried about the recent incident in her dorm.\n"You always get the weirdos, as long as it's not happening on the floor," she said.\nHullsiek said she feels safe in McNutt because the residents have to use their key twice to get onto the floor.\nMichael Moore, associate director for residential colleges, said he hopes dorm floors will be able to come together as a community to help prevent incidents like those in Wright and McNutt, and when an incident occurs in the dorms, RPS administrators will call the police without hesitation.\n"And we encourage students to do the same," Moore said. "The community is only as strong as everyone in that community."\nMoore said not only females, but male students should also take precautions to stay safe in the dorms. He said students shouldn't leave their doors propped open at night and should watch out for others in their halls.\n"If something went goofy or strange in your own home, you wouldn't hesitate to call the police," Moore said.