LoVecchio loving life as a Hoosier

One might think that it must be pretty frustrating to be Matt LoVecchio. For the first time since third grade, he won't be playing in an organized football game all season. The team that he once quarterbacked, Notre Dame, is undefeated and in the thick of the National Championship hunt.\nBut the 6-3, 200 pound redshirt junior quarterback doesn't let any of that bother him -- he's happy and focused on being a Hoosier.\n"I'm just trying to take advantage of everything that's available to me here," LoVecchio said.\nFor the time being, that includes preparing the IU defense for its opponents each week as the scout team quarterback. LoVecchio's work is that of a chameleon: he must adapt to mimic a different style of offense and quarterback each week.\nWith 12 different teams on the schedule, it's no simple task, but LoVecchio has drawn rave reviews from teammates and coaches alike for his ability to provide the Hoosiers with effective reconnaissance.\nFreshman cornerback Damien Jones recently praised LoVecchio while preparing for the Wisconsin game.\n"He can pretty much duplicate anything," Jones said.\nOffensive coordinator Al Borges also believes that though he's not playing, LoVecchio is still able to make a big impact on the team.\n"There's probably not a better scout team quarterback in the country," Borges said. "To have a guy that's been in the arena; in the bright lights, running your scout team is just incredible."\nLoVecchio's experience under the bright lights began his freshman year when he took over a 2-2 Irish team and led them to seven straight victories and a Fiesta Bowl appearance against Oregon State. LoVecchio was the first freshman to start at Notre Dame since Rick Mirer.\nWorking out of a run-oriented option offense, LoVecchio passed for 11 touchdowns and 980 yards in the eight games he played in. \nAfter Notre Dame's slow start in 2001, LoVecchio was benched in favor of Carlyle Holiday, but stayed with the team during spring practice. Once the school year was over, he made the decision to transfer to IU for personal reasons.\n"I looked into a few other schools, but after sitting down with coach DiNardo and his staff I felt real comfortable here," LoVecchio said.\nDiNardo's staff also felt comfortable with LoVecchio.\n"All he's got to do is get in our offense and learn it," Borges said.\nFor LoVecchio, the hardest part about leaving South Bend has nothing to do with leaving tradition or a spot in the national limelight -- it's about leaving the friends and teammates he has bonded with in the past two years.\nHe still keeps in touch with his ex-teammates as frequently as possible and is pleased with their success this season. \n"I'm so happy for them. I just hope that they can continue what they're doing," LoVecchio said.\nUnlike the national experts, who did not even have Notre Dame ranked in the Top 25 to begin the season, LoVecchio is not surprised the Irish have climbed to No. 4 in the polls.\n"They're a bunch of hard working guys and they deserve everything they're getting right now," he said.\nMeanwhile, LoVecchio will be focused on learning IU's "Midwest Coast" offense in preparation for next season.\n"I'm taking advantage of the opportunity I have now to learn a new system and a new scheme," LoVecchio said. "I'm excited to have a chance to come in and compete and do whatever is necessary to help the team."\nBorges said LoVecchio's year off will help accentuate the learning process.\n"It's like being on a sabbatical," Borges said. "You can sit and watch and learn from the other quarterbacks."\nBorges also pointed out LoVecchio will still have to display a good work ethic if he wants to take over the reigns as the starter next fall.\n"We're not handing him anything," Borges said.