Jewish artist delivers special message of faith

Shalom. The Hebrew word for hello, peace and goodbye was the message of local Jewish artist Bruce David at his Tuesday program "The Biblical Odyssey of the Jews through the Eyes of a Contemporary Artist." David was brought to IU by Stephen Katz, a professor in the Jewish Studies Department. Katz said he wanted his class, on Biblical themes in Modern Hebrew text, "to interact with an artist who has such an intimate relationship with the Hebrew text."\nBruce David vividly displays his relationship and faith with Judaism through serigraphs, lithographs, mosaics, stained glass, metal sculpture, bronze relief and Seder plates. His work is a whirlwind of color and tradition. Every artwork displays the Jewish hope of peace, the history and hidden details of the faith. His hidden objects include Shabbat and Havdolah candles, spice boxes, wine cups, menorah, Torah scrolls, shofar, the tablets of the Ten Commandments and mezuzah. \n"I wanted to take these Jewish foundations and make them relevant to today," David said. "I see that Judaism has aspects of life, beauty, love and nature. I was looking for a way to share what Judaism has to offer."\nAll of his pieces are extremely colorful, descriptive and lifelike. It is this quality that placed his work in many synagogues nationwide. He has also been featured in publications such as BabagaNewz, Jewish World, Jewish Sentinel, Jewish Tribune, and Jewish Post and Opinion. His artwork was on the cover of books "The Thirty Third Hour and Seventh Telling" by writer Mitchell Chefitz and CD "We Are All Connected" by Marge Eiseman. \nIn attendance was junior David Lizzo, a Jewish Studies major, who said, "His work shows Judaism as being vibrant and that it isn't an archaic and outdated religion. It shows how alive the religion is and that it has the ability to move people."\nIn addition to students from the Jewish Studies program, many community members attended\nDavid's program about his art and the backgrounds. Also being a storyteller, he provided the history and journey of the Jews in each piece and its making. Accompanying his stories and explanations were slides of art showing the hidden symbolism.\nDavid's work can further be viewed at David Gallery at 7777 South State Road 446 or at his Web site, www.davidart.com.