Hamdam's heroics help team score last 22 points of the game

Sometimes, football's greatest performances come in unexpected packages. The greatest comeback in football history, a playoff rally from a 35-3 deficit, was led by a backup quarterback, Frank Reich of the Buffalo Bills. For IU, a great performance blossomed in the form of senior quarterback Gibran Hamdan, who went from a backup on opening day to a hero Saturday.\nIn just his fourth career start as quarterback, Hamdan proved his mettle as a comeback artist, leading IU back from a 19-point deficit to stun No. 23 Wisconsin, 32-29. The victory represents the Hoosiers' biggest comeback since they erased a 21-point deficit against Illinois in 1999. It was also the third-largest comeback in school history.\nHamdan put up career-highs in every statistical category, completing 24 of 36 passes for 310 yards and four touchdowns. It was the first 300-yard passing performance by an IU quarterback since Antwaan Randle El threw for 329 yards against Purdue in 1999.\nThough playing time had been limited over the course of his IU career, coach Gerry DiNardo credited Hamdan's experience and maturity as catalysts for the comeback.\n"He's a talented guy who's very bright and has tremendous grit," DiNardo said. "He's a lot further along in playing experience because of his maturity."\nHamdan also displayed poise after shaking off a pair of potentially disappointing plays that helped put the Hoosiers in a 19-point hole. \nEarly in the first quarter, Hamdan connected with junior running back Brian Lewis for what appeared to be a 59-yard touchdown. The play was called back for a holding penalty, and the Hoosiers were unable to capitalize with a touchdown until the second quarter, when the Hamdan-to-Lewis connection worked out for a four-yard score.\nLater on in the third quarter, Hamdan was intercepted by Wisconsin sophomore defensive back Jim Leonhard, who returned the ball to the IU eight-yard line. Two plays later, the Badgers scored and took a 29-10 lead. But the Hoosiers did not surrender.\n"We just kept fighting. There were so many times where we could have hung our heads," said sophomore wide receiver Courtney Roby. "We're not about that." \nIU did not answer until there was 1:19 left in the third quarter. Hamdan threw a ten-yard pass to Roby, who proceeded to juke past his defenders to turn the play into a 31-yard touchdown. The touchdown was the culmination of a drive that was practically all Hamdan. Hamdan completed four of five passes for 61 yards on the possession. Hamdan also got to display his golden wheels on the drive, scrambling twice for 11 yards.\n Hamdan and the offense got their next chance to close the gap as they took over possession with 13:20 left in the fourth quarter.\n A pair of critical third-down conversions helped IU keep the momentum as they drove to the end zone.\n The first occurred on third-and-seven from the IU 29. After calling a timeout, Hamdan hit Roby for an eight-yard gain to keep the drive alive.\n Then, after moving the ball to the Wisconsin 40-yard line, the Hoosiers ran into a third-and-12. Hamdan used another timeout to discuss the play, and then proceeded to find junior wide receiver Glenn Johnson on a 24-yard pass.\n"They (Wisconsin) were trying to throw some new things at us that I understood conceptually but I was unsure of," Hamdan said. "It was a good opportunity for us to regroup and find out what we wanted to do on third down."\nThree plays later, he connected with junior tight end Aaron Halterman on a four-yard touchdown to bring IU within five points of the Badgers.\nThe Hoosiers got the ball back again with 5:35 left to play, and Hamdan began a drive that seems destined for the annals of IU football history.\nHamdan led the offense on a ten play, 76-yard march downfield. He also did it despite spending a lot of time on his back -- Hamdan was sacked twice on the drive, and took hits after releasing the ball on several other occasions. \nHamdan said he felt that taking the sacks was the smart play to make, though.\n"I've made mistakes in the past trying to throw under heavy pressure," Hamdan said. "Every play's not going to be a big play, and you can't throw balls off the back of your feet with two guys in your face."\nThe key play was a 17-yard throw to Roby on a third-and-16 from the IU 33-yard line. After making the grab short of the first down marker, Roby hurdled through the air a full two yards to give IU a fresh set of downs.\nHamdan finished off the drive by tossing a 20-yard touchdown pass to Johnson with 2:16 remaining to play, giving the Hoosiers a 30-29 lead. In order to take a three-point edge, the Hoosiers went for a two-point conversion after the touchdown.\nDespite getting pummeled by the Wisconsin pass rush on the play, Hamdan threw a rope to Johnson to give IU a decisive 32-29 edge.\nBut despite taking his lumps, Hamdan was not feeling any bumps and bruises.\n"When you get a win like that, you don't feel any of it," Hamdan said. "I feel great"