Anyone have a corkscrew?

The IU football team is like a fine wine. \nWe've discussed the rush defense, or the lack of one. We talked about the fluctuating offense, the puzzling play-calling and the disaster known as the kicking team.\nBut we haven't talked about how IU is like wine. And I'm not talking $1.99 Boone's Farm.\nI'm talking about the old fine wines that need to be given time, patience and a chance to mature. The team needs all of these things, and that's why IU is like a large young bottle of Bordeaux. \nConsider the following fact: IU played 47 athletes in the loss against Ohio State, and of those, 29 of them were freshman or sophomores. And of those 18 that were left over, a couple of the positions are filled with players adjusting to a new position or adjusting to a starting position after four years. And let's not forget that all of the players are getting used to a brand new coaching staff.\nIt may seem kind of late in the season to be playing the youth card, but it's yet to be acknowledged, and is probably the most important reason that IU is 2-3.\nWith the amount of youth, injury and lack of depth that is plaguing the Hoosiers, regardless of the record or the teams IU has played, recognition for the adversity they are facing this year is necessary.\nIt's agreed that the kicking game has been a never-ending headache for the Hoosiers, and that never before has an extra-point attempt been so feared. But during summer camps, last year's kicker and the team veteran kicker, Adam Braucher, was injured. Kicking this year is sophomore Bryan Robertson, who last year was sidelined with a back injury and spent a majority of last season on the bench.\nYes, the Hoosiers quarterback is a fifth-year senior, and at this point in a fifth-year's career, well, experience would be a plus. But, Gibran Hamdan's playing time was minimal last year, and his offense has totally changed. As far as receivers, Glenn Johnson has already passed the number of catches he made total last year with the number of catches he's had in five games this season. This junior is joined by sophomore Courtney Roby, and together they average 8.2 catches per game for over 180 yards. \nAnd let's really look at the defense. Senior Kris Dielman spent all of last season at tight end, and now after the switch to defense, he is in the top five leading tacklers for IU. Of those above him, Damien Jones and John Kerr are freshman, Herana-Daze Jones is a sophomore and A.C. Carter joins Dielman as a senior. Herana-Daze Jones is tied for second place for most tackles in the Big Ten, after leading the category for the past weeks.\nBut in addition to the youth and the chess-like switching of player's positions, injuries have plagued the team, both to those who have redshirted for the season, and those who are playing through the pain. And there are a lot of those.\nNot to mention the unfilled scholarships that sit nearly abandoned, just waiting to be used. But while the scholarships collect dust, the team faces the possibility of having a scarce amount of backups. And with injuries becoming a daily occurrence and coach Gerry DiNardo excusing players like it's his job...okay, so it is. Either way, the Hoosiers have continued on, and with each game, shown signs of aging.\nLet's hope that the cork of this team can be taken off soon for all IU fans to enjoy.