'The impact it's had'

One year ago yesterday, Julie Doi sat on one of three couches facing the television in a main room of the Delta Delta Delta sorority house. \nShe was surrounded by what she said were nearly all of her sorority sisters.\n"The whole house was just dead silent watching the TV, wide-eyed," Doi said.\nLast night, many of the same sisters, in the same room, gathered in preparation for a candlelight vigil the sorority held on the front lawn of their house in memory of what they watched a year earlier. The event raised money for those personally affected. Meanwhile, the IU Interfaith Association was preparing a similar event at Dunn Meadow.\nDoi, the vice president for public relations at Tri-Delt, said planning for the event began in July. Philanthropy Chairperson Stephanie Harper decided to use the event as a fundraiser. Members of the house carried buckets asking for donations. The money benefited the Twin Towers Orphan Fund in honor of the three IU students whose fathers died in the attacks. \nThe yard was lined with American flags, candle-lit paper bags and a crowd that nearly reached Third St. The ceremony was open to all of campus but was attended mostly by greeks. Senior Nate Johnson, a Fiji member, attended the ceremony with his fraternity brothers.\n"I feel like there is a lot of us within a close community," Johnson said. "Especially the seniors who have been together for three or four years now."\nAmerican flags hung from every front window at the house. Prior to the event, patriotic music from Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp and Lee Greenwood blasted through the loud speaker. During the event, a cappella groups Straight No Chaser and Ladies First performed "God Bless America" and "The Star Spangled Banner."\n"We want to help out as much as we can and obviously with an amazing tribute we want to be involved as much as we can," said Katie Stark, director and singer for Ladies First. "It feels like I am almost giving back and that makes it all worthwhile."\nJunior Cristina Cutchin said she went with her friends because taking the time out of her life shows respect for the victims of an attack she admits is difficult to grasp even a year later.\n"I don't even think it has dawned on me yet," Cutchin said. "I think a lot of us know what happened but don't even realize the impact it's had."\nJust a short walk north at Dunn Meadow, a candlelight vigil with a more religious tone took place. Eleven campus groups led marches from their respective centers into Dunn Meadow where they met students and community members for a vigil filled with songs and prayers from various faiths. Hundreds attended the ceremony. Some sat on the grass in groups holding hands while others were alone with eyes closed and heads bowed. Bob Dylan's song "Blowing in the Wind" opened the ceremony.\nRev. Rebecca Jimenez, an organizer of the event, said remembering Sept. 11 is important because terrible events happen not just in America, but to people around the world. She said bringing together the various student groups was important and needs to happen often, not just in times of tragedy. Following the attacks last year, she organized a similar vigil, which she admitted was extremely somber.\n"There are still people suffering. This was an incredible loss to the world," Jimenez said. "Think of all the gifts that were lost that day that people could have used to better the world, and all the families that are still suffering. They will never get completely over that loss."\nFreshman Mike Wells was sleeping at his home in Elkhart, Ind. when the first plane hit the tower. He woke up in time to see the second plane follow. For him, attending the vigil meant more than just commemoration. It meant inspiration.\n"It was the first time I felt like I saw this entire country as one nation," Wells said. "I saw tremendous good in everyone for the first time, and it just really opened my eyes to what everyone can do if they just try"