Teammate's wrong turn leads to victory for Peterson

Sophomore Mindy Peterson benefited from a wrong turn Friday to win the individual title of the Indiana Intercollegiates.\nJunior Audrey Giesler led the way for much of the race. But at approximately the four kilometer mark Giesler made a wrong turn and a pack of about 25 competitors and teammates followed. Peterson was at the back of that pack, so when a course official ruled the harriers had to retrace their steps, Peterson found herself in the lead. \n"Officially, I won; unofficially, I didn't," Peterson said. "This wasn't a grand race for me. My focus wasn't real good, and I should have been closer to the other IU girls."\nThe win was the second for Peterson; she took the individual title at the Indiana Open Aug. 30. Giesler ended up in fourteenth place with a 19:18 time. Peterson said Giesler was the more dominant runner and didn't deserve to finish where she did. \n"I am excited for Audrey," she said. "Despite her wrong turn, which wasn't her fault because she was in the zone, she dominated and took control. This (race) is a big step for her today." \nCoach Judy Wilson said she was also impressed with Giesler's performance. \n"The unfortunate part for Audrey is that I have never seen her more focused for a race," Wilson said. "The point where she made the wrong turn is an easy one to make."\nAs a team, the Hoosiers finished second, behind Purdue, out of the seven division one teams that participated. Ball State took third place, Valparaiso finished in fourth and Indiana State took fifth. Only 17 of the scheduled 25 women's teams were able to show up, and there was a 15 minute delay due to the inclement weather. \nThe Hoosiers placed three runners in the top five. Freshmen Jessica Gall (19:07) and Lindsay Hattendorf (19:09) finished third and fourth respectively. Purdue placed four runners in the top ten, including second place finisher freshman Kaleena Cappel (19:04) and fifth place finisher freshman Laura Farley (19:10).\nGall said that the weather conditions favored her and the team. \n"We love inclement weather at IU," said Gall. "We are a tough team."\nHattendorf seconded Gall's opinion. \n"I believe that this weather separated the stronger runners from the weaker runners" she said.\nBoth Gall and Hattendorf said they were proud of the team and pleased to defend their home turf.\nThe team's next meet is on Saturday, September 28, in Minneapolis, MN at the Roy Griak Invitational.