Simply Living fair this weekend

Did you know houses can be built out of straw bales? Do you know how to collect solar energy?\nThe answers to these questions can be found at the fourth annual Simply Living fair this weekend at Third Street Park. The fair's theme is "an Exploration of Sustainable Living" and features over 40 workshops, 20 vendors, live music and a children's tent. \n"I came up with the idea for the fair after going to an energy fair in Wisconsin," organizer Christine Glaser said. "I suggested the idea. It seemed like something worthwhile to bring people together for two days." \nThe fair will teach how to live simply, just as its title suggests. There will be a variety of workshops offered, including The Edible Lawn, Deep Relaxation and Worms in Your Basement!, a worm composting workshop.\nThis year's keynote speaker is author, activist and psychologist Chellis Glendinning, Ph.D. She will be speaking at 7 p.m., Friday in the John Waldron Arts Center about the connections between social issues, personal wellness and the natural world. \n"Our mission is to support multi-dimensional sustainability," said Jeff Brown, presenter and marketing manager for Bloomingfoods. "(Sustainability) is broadly defined. One of its elements is no more or no less important than other elements."\nThere are different tracks covering different elements of sustainablilty in the fair: home; food; green economics; and eco-spirit. Many of the workshops fall into these categories; each workshop within the same track shows a different way to live sustainably.\n"People can learn something consciously healthy from the workshops," Brown said. \nBrown said in the home track, for example, there will be a workshop called Solar Home Design, where Steve Conard will present a way of storing, distributing and controlling the solar energy in living spaces.\n"Building and designing solar, energy-efficient green homes and conventional homes has been my vocation," Conard said in the Simply Living program and resource guide. "It's my goal that more people recognize the practicality and the necessity of building earth-friendly home environments."\nAnother workszhop in the home track is Feng Shui and the Healthy Home, which focuses on one's personal environment, not the outdoor environment. This workshop's goal is to "allow the most auspicious flow of energy" in one's home. \nWorkshops must be registered for, but the vendor's tent is free. Locally-aimed businesses, businesses related to the workshops and local activists will be there. \nLike the workshops, the vendors will all be promoting sustainable living in different ways. Some of these are Amnesty International, an organization whose aim is to protect the rights of people around the world who suffer from government intimidation and imprisonment; Linnea's Greenhouse, a plant store which only uses organic fertilizer; and Heartherapy, a psychotherapy organization which focuses on the integration of spirit with home and community.Bloomingfoods will also be in the vendor's tent, and will be providing food for the fair.\n"We got great feedback from last year's fair," said Marcia Veldman, community events coordinator for the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation department. "There aren't many opportunities like this, and people of a wide variety of ages came." \nStudents came to the fair last year to volunteer, partake in workshops and listen to the live bands, she said. Families often come to spend time together while learning about the importance of living simply.\n"The purpose of a children's tent was so their parents could partake in workshops," Glaser said. "But they do a lot of activities which help them learn about the environment." \nChildren ages 3-12 can partake in nature experiments, make paper and musical instruments, play games and listen to stories. Through all the activities planned, they can learn about solar energy, animal adaptations and ecosystems.\nGlaser said she believes people will leave the fair with a new appreciation for the world around them. "There's something in their own life they can do to make a difference," she said.\nBrown agreed.\n"This is a great opportunity for students to expose themselves to learning they can't find in the university," Brown said. "It's hands-on learning, and it teaches you something you can do in your own home."\nGlaser said the fair is made for everyone to enjoy.\n"We try to make it so people who are beginners can gain knowledge, and so that people who are experienced can have a good time as well," she said.\nSimply living\n• When: Sept. 13-15\n• Where: Third \nStreet Park\n• How Much: $10 for one day, $15 for two days, childreen $3 for one day, $5 for two days.\nKey note speaker\n• Who: Chellins Glendinning\n• When: Sept. 13 \nat 7 p.m.\n• Where: John Waldon Arts Center\n• How Much: Free\n• More Info:www.simplycsl.org