on the Sidelines

Hoosiers head for two matches\nThe women's cross country team will split up this weekend to compete in two different meets: the Miami University Invite in Oxford, Oh. and the Purdue Open in Lafayette, Ind. \nThe meets are the second of the year for the Hoosiers, after the squad had a strong showing at the Indiana Open at home on Aug. 30. Freshman Mindy Peterson and junior Audrey Giesler finished 1-2 and six other Hoosiers cracked the top-12. Peterson's performance earned her a Big Ten Conference Runner of the Week nod.\nAs a team, IU beat second place University of South Florida by 20 points. \nHoosiers fall to Bearcats\nThe women's soccer team fell to 1-2 on the year Thursday with a loss to the No. 25 Cincinnatti. First-year coach Mick Lyon was disappointed with the team's defensive effort.\n"We're extremely disappointed," he said in a statement. "We gave away three poor goals tonight. We had poor defensive play."\nJunior goaltender Shaunna Daugherty kept the Bearcats off the scoreboard in the first half, including a save on Lisa Stephens and a ball off of the right post shot by senior Amy Simonson. Both teams went into the intermission scoreless. \nBut, just two minutes and 50 seconds into the second half, Bearcat junior Tasha Wagner scored on Daugherty to break the tie. Junior Ashley Murphy scored the eventual game winner for the Bearcats in the 77th minute. \nJunior Shelly Gruszka scored the lone goal for the Hoosiers in the 87th minute.\nIU hosts Xavier on Sept. 12 at 6 p.m.

Baseball owners ratify labor deal\nCHICAGO - Baseball owners approved their new labor contract quickly and overwhelmingly, voting 29-1 Thursday to ratify the deal negotiators struck last week to avert a strike.\nThe New York Yankees, the team that stands to lose the most, voted against the agreement, which ensures labor peace until December 2006. Approval by the executive board of the union is considered certain.\n"I'm not going to suggest to you today that there are not clubs with very different views, but at some point you have to come together," commissioner Bud Selig said after the two-hour meeting, flanked by his chief negotiators, Bob DuPuy and Rob Manfred.\nThe Yankees are considering a lawsuit, and owners must resolve the uncertain status of the Montreal Expos, who could try to move to Washington or another city by next season. Expos president Tony Tavares wants to know within 10 days whether the team will stay or explore a move.\nSelig had spent thousands of hours on the telephone with owners to develop a consensus for the labor agreement, and he approved the final moves made by his negotiators last week. The near-unanimous vote was a sign of support he has among the owners.\n"I'm in Mayor Richard J. Daley's hometown. They'd have been pleased with the result, and I'm very pleased with the result," Selig said.\nThe Yankees, who generate the most money in baseball, estimate the annual amount they give up to other clubs will increase from $28 million in 2001 to between $50 million and $55 million next year. The team's lawyers have been examining grounds for a lawsuit.\nYankees president Randy Levine declined comment after the meeting.