Hoosiers win conference opener

The IU volleyball team entered its second match of three straight ranked opponents Wednesday night. This seemed to be quite the daunting task until IU's first opponent, Louisville, ranked 30th in the country, were defeated by the Hoosiers 3-1. \nLuckily, the streak rolls on as the team reaches its sixth win in a row and second against a ranked team as IU beat 11th-ranked Ohio State 3-1. \nThis game was the Big Ten opener for the Hoosiers and it was no easy task against the Buckeyes with their impressive main weapon sophomore outside hitter Stacey Gordon. Gordon came into the match sporting a 6.03 kill per game average and was impressive throughout the match. The win opens IU's Big Ten season on a definitely positive note and has the team poised for almost any challenge given to them.\n"I think we have the confidence now to play any team. When we're playing to our potential, we can beat anyone," sophomore outside hitter Christina Archibald said.\nThe atmosphere was charged with yells as the weight of Archibald, junior middle blocker Melissa Brewer, and sophomore middle blocker Katie Pollom's massive hits crushed the Buckeyes in four games. \n"We really communicated well tonight, and I think that helped us in the match," Pollom said.\nAnother asset the team brought to the game was a confidence that they lacked during last year's disappointing 8-20 run. This year's promising 11-2 record and consistently strong play has fueled the team's confidence.\n"We're playing with a confidence that comes from winning, and we're doing great with it," IU coach Katie Weismiller said.\nGame one was a heated back and forth battle that had the Buckeyes and Hoosiers trading blows. The Hoosiers managed a mini-run late in the game to put the score at 26-23 to prompt an OSU timeout. The timeout was not enough as the Hoosiers managed to extend their run to 6-2. IU looked as if it had the game sealed with a 29-25 lead, but the Buckeyes weren't out of it yet as they fought back to a mere one point 29-28 IU lead. OSU's fight was valiant, but junior outside hitter Nikki Hill smashed a commanding killl home to finish a 30-28 IU win.\nThe second game was more of the same as both teams dueled back and forth early to a tight 15-13 IU lead. The battle continued with IU and OSU trading blows to a 20-18 IU lead late in the game. With the Buckeyes in close range, the Hoosiers exploded and ran away with a 30-26 win in the second game. \nSophomore setter Victoria Zimmerman's crafty soft touch confused the OSU opposition by hitting well placed tips throughout the match. Along with Zimmerman's touch, Archibald's commanding blows led IU past the Buckeyes. Archibald has been a key player for the Hoosiers this season being named to four straight all-tournament teams and Big Ten player of the week.\nGame three was a constant barrage of strong hits by both teams. Again the Buckeyes were hanging behind the Hoosiers by two points late in the match with a score of 20-18. In the third game, OSU who ignited with a six point run to put the score at 25-22. IU answered back with their own six point run. OSU answered with its own three point run that knotted the score at 28. This run gave the Buckeyes enough momentum and they overtook the Hoosiers in 31-29 in game three.\nGame three's battle seemed to shake both teams and IU and OSU both traded off relatively sloppy points. The game became another heated battle, but IU broke free with a six point run to put the score at 23-17. The Hoosiers did not relent, putting together a five point run that sealed the game at 29-19. The Hoosiers coasted to a 30-21 win, overtaking OSU 3-1, topping off a six game winning streak.\nYet again the team morale of one point at a time ran through the match.\n"We're taking one match, one game at a time and I think it's really paying off for us. Now we've figured out how to win," Weismiller said.