Hoosiers rally after defeat, upsets Loyola, Boston

The women's volleyball team recorded a 2-1 tournament record for the the second straight week this season. The Hoosiers competed in the Maryland Tournament; they began the weekend on Friday with a disappointing loss to an undefeated Maryland team. The Hoosiers made up for the loss Saturday with two winning matches against Loyola Marymount and Boston College on Saturday.\nFriday's match against the host Terrapins was an expected challenge as Marlyand not only had a home crowd, but an impressive 7-0 record coming into the match.\nWhile IU fought and kept each of the games close, Maryland managed to overcome the Hoosiers and remain undefeated, winning all three games 30-28, 30-27 and 30-26. Maryland's junior outside hitter Lynnsy Jones was the Terrapins' main weapon, logging 18 kills while IU sophomore outside hitter Christina Archibald matched Jones' kill total and had a match-high .400 hitting percentage.\nThe Loyola Marymount match had the Hoosiers bolting out to a 2-1 lead, only to lose their momentum in the fourth game, losing 30-16.\nLuckily, the Hoosiers were able to regain their focus, winning the fifth game 15-10, taking the match. Archibald was again the Hoosier's main offensive weapon scoring a career-high 29 kills. This win was the first in five attempts to topple LMU and improved the Hoosier's record to 6-2.\nThe Hoosier's final match against Boston College was another five game battle that had IU spring back up from a 2-1 deficit. Not only was the match hard fought, but it was also a physical strain running back-to-back with the difficult Loyola Marymount match.\n"Conditioning played an important part being able to play back-to-back matches," coach Katie Weismiller said in a press release. "We knew the schedule was tight."\nThe first game began with Boston rising to a 27-21 lead that awoke the Hoosiers and provided a 6 point rally to close the lead to 28-27, but it was not enough with Boston winning the game on an IU rotation violation. \nThe second game of the match was more of a Hoosier show with IU reaching an early 14-6 lead. The rest of the game was not so easy with Boston rallies leading to late ties at 22 and 28 points before IU closed out the match 30-28.\nThe third game of the match had the Hoosiers constantly trying to claw into the game, but Boston simply overpowered IU, winning the hard-fought game 30-28 and putting IU into a 2-1 deficit. This game again awakened the Hoosiers who crushed Boston in the fourth game 30-18 and came into the match-deciding fifth game fired up, but the Eagles were not going to just lay down. The fifth game of the match was a close battle that had the teams within three points of each other. Boston tied the game at 13, only to see the Hoosiers finally win the game 15-13 and the match 3-2. \nWhile the team did not play its best, Weismiller said she was happy with the displayed effort.\n"We didn't play to our ability tonight but did display a lot of character, mentally, the way we came back and fought," Weismiller said. \nArchibald was the only Hoosier named to the All-Tournament team.