Hoosiers first loss ranks big

Lack of ball movement hurts IU against Utes; Utah pounds IU in Hoosiers' first road game of the year

The Hoosier defense couldn't make the plays, and the offense couldn't muster much of an attack as Utah smashed the Hoosiers 40-13 in Salt Lake City on Saturday. IU accumulated 335 yards of total offense while giving up 386 yards on the ground alone.\nThe Hoosiers went three and out on their first two possessions. Utah took advantage and jumped out to an early 3-0 lead with a field goal by Bryan Borreson. The Utes looked to extend their lead on their next possession, but sophomore Herana-Daze Jones forced a fumble on the 1-yard line that was recovered by junior Antonio Watson in the endzone.\nThe Hoosiers capitalized on the turnover by marching down the field in six plays in a little under 3:00. IU scored on a trick play that caught Utah off-guard. \nSenior Tommy Jones handed off to freshman Yamar Washington who flipped it to sophomore Courtney Roby on an apparent reverse. But Roby flipped it back to Jones who found junior Glenn Johnson down the field for a 53-yard score. Johnson led the Hoosiers with ten catches for 184 yards and the touchdown.\nIU led at the end of the first quarter 6-3 but would be unable to score until late in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, Utah would start to roll. Another field goal by Borreson tied the score at 6-6. From there, Utah would go on to score touchdowns on their next four possessions to open up a 34-6 lead. \nThe Utes were led on the ground by senior Marty Johnson who ran for 229 yards and two touchdowns.\nSenior J.R. Peroulis also had 118 yards on the ground for Utah. IU coach Gerry DiNardo was not pleased with the defensive effort.\n"That is their style, but we made them look a little bit better than they were," DiNardo said in a statement. "We were a poor tackling team tonight, but they are a very good rushing team."\nAt halftime, DiNardo made a quarterback change by replacing Jones with senior Gibran Hamdan. Jones finished to game 4 of 13 for 64 yards and a touchdown.\n"We felt that we needed a change," DiNardo said. "We thought that he could give us a spark and Gibran did pretty well for his first time out."\nThe IU offense was able to move the ball but three interceptions by Hamdan cut the Hoosier drives short. Utah would add two more field goals to push its lead to 40-6.\nThe turnovers by the offense put a lot of pressure on the defense to make big plays. The defense spent 13 more minutes on the field than the offense did. Senior Kris Dielman said the offense will come around.\n"Field position was very big in this game, but we did what we had to do. We didn't quit," Dielman said. "We were on the field a lot today, but that is not anything abnormal. We have got to make plays."\nIU was able to add a score with 0:35 remaining in the game when Hamdan found freshman John Pannozzo for a five-yard score. It was Pannozzo's third touchdown of the season. \nThe score was set up by sophomore Herana-Daze Jones, who recovered a fumble. Jones led the Hoosiers with 18 tackles. Senior Joe Gonzalez had 14 tackles while freshman John Kerr had 12.\nHamdan said the offense's inability to move the ball really hurt the Hoosiers.\n"The number one priority for the offense was to not put the defense in a position where they couldn't succeed, and we did not do that today," Hamdan said. "From a team standpoint, we have to get better on offense. They put a lot of points on the board, but that is not all on the defense. It is just a law of nature, if they are out there the whole time they are going to get tired"