Finally, the NFL season begins again

There was one moment last February where everything was silent in the NFL. There was one relaxed split-second, where the speculation stopped, the predictions ceased and the experts just sat and watched. That instant came after the New England Patriots took the ball downfield in Super Bowl XXXVI. Adam Vinatieri's kick had sailed through the goal posts -- giving New England their first ever championship. Across the country, fans and general managers alike stopped, took a deep breath and waited for the ball to drop.\nAnd then -- Boom! -- it landed on the Superdome carpet, and the chaos began again. Since that moment, the NFL landscape has been a whirlwind of activity. Divisions were realigned, coaches were hired and fired and even traded, jerseys were changed, stadiums were opened, a team was added and, of course, players were cut, signed and moved. Even today -- after the season has already begun (and what says NFL better than a Bon Jovi concert), the dust has not settled. Who would have guessed that running back Ricky Watters would be without a team for Week 1?\nBut, as with every season, the chaos leads to surprises, and we have become used to shocking results and turn-arounds that come with no other sport. Here is my take on what to look for in the upcoming season.\nBiggest surprise\nSure, the Redskins are always predicted to be good -- but this year, believe it. Steve Spurrier may or may not be a successful NFL coach, but he does have one thing going for him -- his opponents do not know him. Spurrier is new to the league, but not to the game. And his style will sneak up on some teams. He has a great defense, and with a terrific running back in Stephen Davis, his offense will be able to produce. At the University of Florida, Spurrier was known for being a "quarterback's coach." He'll have to keep that up in Washington with less than average talents under center.\nBiggest bust\nI see a letdown coming from Chicago -- err -- Champaign, where the Bears have a tough act to follow. Not many teams can go 13-3 two seasons in a row, and the Bears won't do it, either. Their offense is just too weak, and many of last season's victories came in miracle--form. The Bears may make the playoffs, but only as a wildcard.\nLast year's winner\nAs the Rams and Ravens have already figured out, defending a Super Bowl title is rather difficult. New England will not repeat as champions because they have lost their top weapon: the element of surprise. Last year's title run included trick plays week after week, and, as the Raiders fans will surely tell you, a little bit of luck. That season took a top notch team effort that brought out the best in everyone, which was just enough to eek out an upset over St. Louis.\nThis season, the P-men will realize that Tom Brady is not the quarterback of the future, and that when defenses take away the running game, the trick plays may not be as effective, now that everyone sees them coming.\nBreakout seasons\nThere are several question marks here, mostly coming from the running back position. Last year was a breakout season for 49ers running back Garrison Hearst, but can he do it again? \nDon't expect Eddie George and the Tennessee Titans to stay down for long. After a dismal season in 2001, they should be mad and ready to prove that they still belong at the top. We will also find out if Ricky Williams will finally take the Dolphins to the next level, whether Warrick Dunn can succeed without an all-pro fullback in Atlanta, and if Deuce McAllister can lead the Saints.\nWhile predicting the NFL post-season is about as easy as winning the lottery, I guess I'll give it a shot anyway. There is no way that the Indianapolis Colts will miss the playoffs again, but if Edgerrin James does not fully recover from the ACL injury he suffered last year, that is as far as they will get. Look out for the Chargers as well because quarterback Drew Brees may be the final piece to the puzzle in San Diego. St. Louis and Pittsburgh are the two strongest teams in the league, but it's a long season. And anything can happen -- it will surely be a fun ride.