Broadway arising as a different being

Producers trying new ideas to get audiences back into theaters

NEW YORK -- In the center of Times Square people wait in a line that snakes as far as the eye can see, all in the hopes of purchasing inexpensive tickets to Broadway productions. The people waiting patiently are surrounded on all sides by promoters selling their show, vying for the crowd's attention with statements promising more than the last.\n"Come see the 'Lion King'!" shouted one eager salesman. "Best show on Broadway this year."\n"This year?" retorted another. "You want to see the 'Full Monty.' It's the best show this decade!"\nThe onlookers in line watched the scene with some amusement, but slowly advanced to the ticket booth with pamphlets describing the various shows the promoters were selling.\nLaden with promotional materials Ellen Smith, a resident of Chicago, made her way to the window, purchasing tickets to a performance of "Beauty and the Beast."\n"Thank goodness you are able to buy tickets the day of shows," she said. "There is no other way we could afford them. We wanted to take our children to a show while we were in town, and the way they discount the tickets made it possible."\nSmith, like thousands of theatergoers, purchased her tickets to a Broadway production at the TKTS, a booth in Duffy Square on the center island of 47th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue. Established in 1973 for the betterment of theater in New York, TKTS sells unsold tickets on the day of the show discounted 25 to 50 percent. The daily selections are on electronic screens in front of the booth, showing both the availability and the discount. \nThe tourists buying their tickets the day of the show is becoming increasingly common, according to an article in The New York Times. Advance ticket sales are down over fifty percent, with most people buying the discounted tickets instead of purchasing them at face value in advance.\nCristyne L. Nicholas, the president of NYC & Company, the tourism and convention bureau of New York City, said in an interview with The New York Times that while tourism numbers from this past summer are equivalent to that of last year, the tourists are behaving differently.\n"More people are booking last minute," she said. "And more people are hunting for discount deals."\nIndustry experts said these changes in purchasing patterns will affect how shows are booked and marketed in the future. Producers may need to spend more on promotion and advertising to attract audiences, cutting into the profits of the investors. \nDespite what it means for the future of Broadway, the crowds hoping for inexpensive theater tickets are a welcome sight to New Yorkers, who were witnessing the faltering of Broadway after Sept. 11. For months after the terrorist attacks theaters sat half empty during Saturday night performances, and hotels were giving away tickets to hot Broadway shows to entice tourists back to the Big Apple.\n"It's so good to see people back in the city," said Carole Steer. Steer, a resident of Hastings-on-Hudson in Westchester, recalled when the scene of Times Square was much different. \n"Last November there was nobody in the streets," she said. "It was a ghost town in the middle of Manhattan."\nThose days are past. Times Square, a traditional tourist destination, was packed with people taking in the sights, heading to Broadway plays and hawking their wares.\nOff-Broadway productions are also faring better with the resurgence of tourism. These productions, performed in smaller theaters on tighter budgets than Broadway shows, often contain more daring and controversial material than traditional theater. \nOne such show is "Reno: Rebel without a Pause." This show, a reflection on the events of Sept. 11, has drawn much press for its frank discussions of the issues surrounding the attacks and life in New York afterwards. \nPerforming artist Reno discussed her thoughts on the events of Sept. 11 in a humorous light to a packed house at the Lion Theater, just two blocks from Broadway. Drawing gasps and chuckles from the audience, Reno lambasted President George W. Bush's rhetoric that caused fear and distrust in many Americans.\n"(President) Bush keeps telling me that (terrorists) hate my way of life," she said. "I don't see why. If they talked to me they would see that I'm a very nice person. They don't hate me; they hate what we stand for."\nTen minutes later Reno had people laughing at the way people in her neighborhood were trying to figure out what happened on the day of the attacks.\n"We were trying to offer the people running away from us water and towels," she said. "But they kept running away and screaming. We couldn't figure it out until we thought they might not know people actually live in TriBeCa. Guess what New York, people live here!"\nOn Broadway and off, theater in New York has recovered from a devastating blow. Though permanently altered by the events of Sept. 11, New York's art community has survived and flourished, drawing inspiration from the events that took place.