'Barbershop' more than just clippers

There is something about a shave and a haircut that can completely change the attitude of any given individual. This might be one of the reasons barbershops throughout the country are more than just places of business. They are more like clubhouses, centers of the community where men can go to get in a little bonding time. \nTim Story's "Barbershop" tells the story of Calvin (Ice Cube), who is trying to live out his dream of economic prosperity amidst his responsibilities to the family barbershop that bears his name. "Calvin's Barbershop" is more than a place of employment to the host of characters who work there, including Cedric the Entertainer, Eve, Sean Patrick Thomas and several others. Throughout the movie, Calvin tries to save the shop from economic despair.\nMeanwhile, the audience is privy to an ATM robbery (yes, two guys actually steal an ATM) that takes place in the convenience store right across the street from the shop. The relevance of this robbery does not come through until the end of the film, but it is worth the wait.\n"Barbershop," while not a groundbreaking film, does what movies are supposed to do. This film has everything -- humor, love, anger and conflict all rolled into one. The atmosphere of the shop reminds me of "My-T-Sharp" from "Coming to America" -- anyone can say anything, with or without consequences. I am also completely convinced of the authenticity of the characters, although they might have been somewhat exaggerated versions of their real-life counterparts.\nIce Cube did a fantastic job with his role. He had no problem convincing me that he was the third in a line of barbers who loved their job and that shop. I wonder if he thought back to a childhood barbershop of his own in order to get motivation for the role.\nEve's performance was also a great surprise. I always tend to be overly critical of musicians who crossover to movies, because despite popular belief, being able to make a music video is nothing like acting. But Eve did a fantastic job in her role. She fit right into that barbershop and had no problem being the only girl amongst a shop full of men with perfectly-trimmed egos.\nThe real star of film however, was Cedric. I don't have enough good words for him. He was a great patriarch and source of comic relief when situations got tough. He was the voice of wisdom that constantly reminded everyone that the barbershop was less about razors and clippers and more about the people who sat in the chairs.\nEveryone needs a quasi-cheesy feel-good movie every once in a while, and if you are craving that, "Barbershop" is the way to go. Definitely go see it in the theater, it is a film better watched with a rowdy crowd of moviegoers.