Around the Arts

Reward offered for information regarding Madison bridge burning\nWINTERSET, Iowa -- Robert Waller, author of the best-selling novel "The Bridges of Madison County," has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person responsible for burning down one of them. \nState fire investigators say arson was the probable cause of Tuesday night's fire that destroyed Cedar Bridge. Investigators have removed several charred samples that will be tested for accelerants, said Sgt. Robert Hansen, spokesman for the state fire marshal's office. \n"I have lost an old and dear friend with whom I have spent many quiet hours," Waller said in a statement released by the Madison County sheriff's department. \nThe 119-year-old Cedar Bridge was perhaps the best known of the six covered bridges that have drawn thousands of visitors since Waller's novel was published in 1992. It's where the lead characters, farm wife Francesca Johnson and photographer Robert Kincaid, plan a romantic rendezvous. \nThe 76-foot-long wooden bridge, located over Cedar Creek a few miles northeast of Winterset, was renovated in 1998 at a cost of $128,000. \nWaller has pledged financial help to replace the structure. \nClint Eastwood and Meryl Streep starred in the 1995 film, directed by Eastwood, that was based on Waller\'s book. \nWillie Nelson cancels concerts after suffering from broken blood vessel\nAUSTIN, Texas -- Willie Nelson canceled four concerts after being treated for a broken blood vessel in his nose. \nNelson was treated Thursday in Lincoln, Neb. He is expected to rejoin the tour within the next week, his record company said Friday. \nHe called off performances in Lincoln, Neb.; Neosho, Mo.; Bonner Springs, Kan.; and Geneva, Minn. \nNelson has been on a U.S. tour since July 12 to promote his recent release, "The Great Divide." The tour will continue into the fall and will include Farm Aid 2002. \nLast month, Nelson got two Country Music Association Awards nominations: "The Great Divide" is up for best album, and "Mendocino County Line" with Lee Ann Womack for best vocal event.