8 of 23 Broadway shows go on

NEW YORK -- Many theaters were dark and strangely quiet, but the show went on for eight of 23 Broadway productions, including such big musicals as "The Producers," "Hairspray" and "Thoroughly Modern Millie." \n"In a way, we have to treat it as any other day, as far as going out there and performing," said Brad Oscar, star of "The Producers," the laugh-filled Mel Brooks musical. "We can't bring on stage the gravity and the weight and the enormity of what Sept. 11 means, especially with this show. And it's that contrast which makes performing on Wednesday so hard." \nAll shows acknowledged the terrorist attacks in some way Wednesday during matinee \nperformances. \n"On this day of remembrance, let us pledge our hands, our hearts and lives to building and not destroying. Let us remember, let us mourn, let us renew, let freedom ring," said Harvey Fierstein at an emotional matinee curtain call of "Hairspray." \nBefore Fierstein spoke, designer David Rockwell's back wall setting of lights had been reconfigured into a giant American flag. After the actor finished speaking, four chorus members led the audience and cast in an a cappella, soul-tinged rendition of "God Bless America." Many theatergoers and several of the performers on stage, including star Marissa Jaret Winokur, brushed away tears as the song reached its climax. \nAt "The Producers," the cast sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the end of the matinee and planned to do it again following the evening performance. "Metamorphoses" donated half the box-office proceeds from Wednesday's two performances to the New York Firefighters 9-11 Relief Fund. Jonathan Dokuchitz and Jackee Harry, stars of the Rodgers and Hart revival "The Boys From Syracuse," spoke briefly to the audience before the show. \nAt "Millie," Dick Scanlan, the musical's lyricist and book writer, and its composer, Jeanine Tesori, welcomed theatergoers in brief remarks before the curtain rose. \n"There's something mighty life-affirming about voices raised in song and laughter. So this is what I propose," Scanlan told the audience at the Marquis Theatre. "I am going to make sure they (the cast) sing a lot and you have to make sure you laugh a lot, and maybe together, somehow, we can help each other continue to heal." \nBut it was like any other theater day for Lorraine Holt, who came in from the Bronx to see "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife." \n"I love the theater and try to go to matinees every chance I get," Holt said. \nAlthough a few shows, such as "Hairspray," were sold out, business was down -- drastically -- for others. "Millie" filled 900 of its 1,600 seats at the matinee, much of it sold at the half-price ticket booth. Some shows, such as "Proof" and "Allergist's Wife" offered steep discounts and even gave away tickets. \n"It's a no-win situation this week," said Jed Bernstein, head of the League of American Theatres and Producers. "Sept. 11 is right between the Jewish holidays and September is a soft month to begin with. \n"Yet, no matter how bad it is this year, it will be better than last year's September"