Suspect confesses to IUN murder

Prosecutor discussing whether to pursue death penalty

The man charged with the murder of retired IU-Northwest Vice Chancellor Silas W. "Bill" May is eligible for the death penalty, according to Indiana law. \nThe law stipulates that intentionally killing a person while committing a robbery is considered an aggravating circumstance that may warrant the application of the death penalty. \nLamar Pierre Ricketts, 23, has been officially charged with murder and murder in the perpetration of a robbery. He will stand trial in the court of Judge Joan Kouros, who recently entered a plea of not-guilty on Ricketts behalf.\nDiane Poulton, public information officer for the Lake County prosecutor's office, said while the death penalty may be in play, the prosecution has not yet discussed whether they will pursue it in this case. If they choose not to seek the death penalty, Ricketts could face up to 65 years in prison.\nMay was found dead from stab wounds and massive head trauma July 18. Gary Police officer Lanita Titus said the murder stemmed from an altercation that began when May refused to allow Ricketts to take his car without making the final payments. Ricketts was arrested after police officers in Merrilville, Ind. made a traffic stop on May's black Chrysler.\nGary Chief of Police Garrett Watson said Ricketts waived his Miranda rights before police began interrogating him. In an incriminating conversation with Sgt. Jack Arnold, Ricketts admitted to hitting May in the head with a hammer three of four times when he refused his demands for the money he claimed to have paid for the car.\n"We consider it to be a confession," Watson said.\nWatson also said police recovered a hammer, which is believed to be the murder weapon, as well as the gun Ricketts was carrying at the scene of the crime.\nRicketts is currently being held without bond at Lake County Jail. The trial date will be set during a Sept. 26 hearing.