Senior a perfect fit for new position

The women's volleyball season begins this weekend with a three game invitational.\nThe Northern Illinois Best Western Invitational will pair the team against Drake on Friday followed by two matches against IUPUI and Northern Illinois on Saturday.\nFriday's game will pit the team against the Drake Bulldogs who have six returning players and five incoming freshman. Maggie Black is the only experienced senior, yet junior outside hitter Lacey Corocan should provide a challenge for the team.\nThe IUPUI Jaguars will be the first game on Saturday. Junior outside hitter Rebekah Pallikan and sophomore middle blocker Michelle Sobocinski are the only returning starters. Sobocinski ranked third on the team in kills and digs last season.\nThe final match of the weekend pairs the Hoosiers against the Northern Illinois home team. The Huskies have faced their fair share of losses with Mid Atlantic Conference Player of the Year Jenny Bowman and league Coach of the Year Todd Kress leaving the program during the last year. But the team still provides a challenge for the Hoosiers with four returning starters including three All MAC Conference players Tenisha Wilkins, Rena Widboom and Tara Lobdell, who was also the MAC Freshman of the Year.\nThe Hoosiers said they are confident they have enough firepower to overcome their challenges and start the season on the right foot. This confidence is aided by four returning starters including team captain sophomore Katie Pollom, senior Hillary Toivenen and Big Ten Freshman of the Year sophomore Christina Archibald along with former Big Ten Freshman of the Year junior Melissa Brewer. \nAlong with a strong returning core of players, the team has an obvious cohesiveness. Many of the team members even live together. The friendly atmosphere prompted Beth Heimann, who took a hiatus last year, to try on her volleyball shoes again.\n"I live with three of the girls so I am kind of in the middle of it," Heimann said. "The opportunity came up so I decided to give it a chance again."\nDespite four returning starters, the Hoosiers had to overcome a few hurdles this season including a major rule change. This rule change added a new position to the roster called a Libero (LEE-bah-ro). The libero is exempt from substitution rules and may not serve. The position is used as a back row defensive specialist. Head coach Katie Weismiller doesn't see the new position affecting the Hoosiers; Toivonen will serve the role well.\n"Her new role as a Libero, in terms of defense, it's tailor made for her; it truly is," Weismiller said. "If there's ever a position that's made for a player, it's Hillary." \nIn addition to new rules the Hoosiers also have added two assistant coaches to the volleyball family. Cydryce Carter and Ryan Theis take on the reigns of Hoosier assistant coaches this season. "(Carter and Theis) bring a lot of fire," Weismiller said. "You look at these two coaches who are coming in for the first opportunity to coach at this level, they've got a lot of drive and a lot of determination. There are two people in here who want to prove and want IU to be the best this year. They put in the time; they have the commitment."\nThe commitment of the assistant coaches has also aided a dramatic improvement from many of the team members over the summer.\n"While we haven't changed much in personnel, we've certainly changed how we play," said sophomore Victoria Zimmerman. "I think we've improved in a ton of areas."\nWeismiller said the team is prepared for the coming season.\n"No matter who we see, we're going to be ready for them," she said.