world

French join chorus, urge restraint

Chirac said any decision to attack Iraq should be made by UN Security Council

PARIS -- French President Jacques Chirac insisted Thursday that any military action against Iraq be decided by the U.N. Security Council, joining the chorus of leaders urging Washington to exercise restraint in its plans against Baghdad.\nChirac, in a speech to French ambassadors in Paris, called the possibility of unilateral U.S. action "worrying", and said it would be contrary to "the cooperation of states, the respect of law and the authority of the Security Council."\nChirac's comments come as the Bush administration is debating an invasion or bombing campaign to remove Iraqi President Saddam Hussein from power. Washington accuses Iraq of rebuilding facilities to produce weapons of mass destruction.\nOn Thursday, two prominent lawmakers urged President Bush to ask Congress for authorization before launching an attack, approval administration officials have said is not necessary. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wis., called for a full debate and vote in Congress.\nChirac's speech firmly put France on the list of nations urging Bush to go slow on his war plans. The German chancellor called on Washington to consult fully with allies on its plans, and the British Foreign Office suggested setting a deadline for Saddam to allow the return of inspectors.\nThe Iraqi government said on Thursday that it was ready to negotiate.\n"There's still room for diplomatic solutions to avert a war with the United States," said Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan, who met with Syrian officials in Damascus to raise support for Iraq's position.\n"We take the American threats seriously as we know the (U.S.) administration is mad and criminal," Ramadan said before heading to Beirut, where a meeting with Lebanese President Emile Lahoud was scheduled for Friday.\nTurkey, a longtime U.S. ally, has also expressed doubts about an attack. It proposed tighter trade sanctions against Iraq rather than a military operation in two days of talks with high-level Bush administration officials.\nThe French president, who in past statements has expressed strong support for U.S. demands that Iraq accept the weapons inspectors, reiterated his view that the United Nations should be consulted before an attack on Baghdad.\n"If Baghdad persists in refusing the unconditional return of inspectors, the Security Council will have to decide which measures to take," Chirac said in a speech at the Elysee presidential palace.\nChirac did not say whether France -- one of five nations on the Security Council that maintains veto power -- would support a measure supporting military action against Iraq.\nThe speech also indicated the French government was seeking a balance between its support for U.N. consultation on Iraq and its sympathy with Washington's concerns about the security threat posed by Baghdad.\nAs recently as Tuesday, Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said that the Iraqi defiance of international rules was "unacceptable"